MDT chassis for Savage 12FV

ninosdemente

I have been looking to replace factory stock on Savage 12FV .223 for some time. Do want to have external magazine instead of the blind magazine. Haven't found much sales, probably not searching good enough but I did end up finding MDT that has "overstock" and "second factory" ones on sale. According to their site they only have cosmetic blemish and doesn't affect performance.

This is my first option:
https://mdttac.com/us_en/lss-xl-gen2-chassis-system-1.html

On the site it only gives me one option for buttstock interface is: FIXED. Does anyone know if I am limited to what I can get for buttstock? Other than MDT buttstock, would I be able to get a magpul buttstock (not specific to a particular brand) or have to stick with MDT?

Second option:
https://mdttac.com/us_en/ess-chassis-system-1.html

Thanks in advanced.

I went with an Oryx chassis for a lot less - $400 versus about $950.
I didn't get it on sale and I also bought the added butt pads and the sling swivel.
Works fine with my Savage 12 FV in both .233 and 6.5mm CM.

No choices on the butt stock but with one added pad, it fits me just fine for reach and the cheek weld is adjustable. One package of extra pads were split for each stock.

Came to about $550 with shipping.

The switch to the Oryx aluminum chassis improved my group size by about 10%.

I also have the Oryx for the Savage 12FV in 6.5 Creedmoor. I did think about getting another for the .223 but call be crazy, just wanted a different chassis. I too bought the extra pads.

That is the reason why at first I went with the Oryx as I didn't have/willing to spend the money on the MDT set up. Only contemplating now as it is on sale and having the cosmetic blemish, I really don't mind if it allows me to get it cheaper. Which also was the reason why I was asking if I could put a magpul buttstock (or something different) vs getting a mdt buttstock. Before making final choice.

Thanks.

So I just went to the Oryx site and they too have factory second/overstock. Bad news they don't have for Savage SA.... bummer they are on sale for $299. I should have checked sooner as I did check this past Friday.

I like the Boyds Laminated stocks. Great fit, only had to carver out the tang a shade and the front for the barrel but I put a Bull on them.

Oddly, the Featherweight even in the 30-06 1 inch Bull barrel feels better than the more target Prairie hunter or whatever they call it.

I found no need for bedding. Have shot some 1/4 and smaller groups with it.

I have been thinking about the Boyd's for my hunting Savage 111 30-06. Just trying to see if I can use the existing magazine on the Boyd's stock if I went this route. Keeping me from getting one also was not sure if Boyd's are a drop and use vs making it work.

The Boyds Prarrie Hunter is essentially their Classic with a comb and different shaped forestock.
RC20 is thinking the Varmint, which a lot of people put on to start into shooting longer range.

My wife ordered an AT-One in Purple for the Mauser i'm building for my daughter. :rolleyes:
The plastic parts are narrow, and square edged. Had to order the upgraded bits at additional cost. :mad:
Still under $300 though.

Boyds Stocks are for the most part, drop in. Mauser you have to do the cutout for the bolt, as everybody does their own thing, no set pattern.

Back