Md#12 Winchester

loknload

OK guys I need your help, I'm looking to purchase an old Model 12 for a wintertime restoration project. I have just breifly looked at this gun but will look at it a lot closer if I decied to buy. The dealer wants $195. for it. It's a 28" Field Grade,nothing fancy. Has nickel steel barrel and the wood looks good. Besides a closer examination of the bore what else should I be looking at?
Thanks in advance for the help ;)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

There's some threads on buying used pump guns. A little research will pay off.

Quick, the 12 is a durable design and well worth that price in decent condition. Look for corrosion, dent and dings in the bbl especially, and a 2 3/4" or 3 inch chamber marking. Some very early ones were chambered in 2 1/2", I think.

Sometimes a well used 12 will have headspace problems. It takes a smith to fix this, but it's fixable.

Also, you might want to post something about this in Harley Nolden's forum, there may be a savant that can tell you when it was made.

I don't have a mod 12 but I have a 97 and a "mini" mod 12, a mod 42 in .410. Another thing to look at other than the headspace as DaveMc mentioned. On the Win guns like the 12/42/97 that take down you also need to look for the fit of the two halves. This fit can be tightened up but it is an indicator of condition and how well the gun was taken care of.

[This message has been edited by Intel6 (edited October 25, 2000).]

Back