McMillan or Manners?

I have a McMillan a5 and I love it. Great stock, very rigid, solid stock. Well made. It has adjustable comb. Definetly recommend.

What type of rifle and what are your goals? The brand of rifle matters too. I'm going to provide an answer assuming you're talking about a hunting rifle.

I've used McMillan, Brown Precision, Hi-Tech Specialties, B&C, HS-Precision and a couple of others on bolt action hunting rifles. On a sporter weight hunting rifle I much prefer the McMillan Edge. They are pricy, but strong as an oak slab and about 1/2-1 lb lighter than most anything else. If weight savings isn't important you can save about $100 and get the standard weight stocks.

I've always been able to open the box, bolt it on and go shoot with excellent accuracy. I do place a small bit of bedding compound in the recoil lug recess. I don't think it helps, but is easy and doesn't hurt. Most of the others will require fitting by a gunsmith which adds to cost.

On a varmint or target rifle B&C is considerably cheaper and as good as anything else. Just too heavy for a sporter weight hunting rifle.

I've never used Manners hunting stocks. But they are a quality stock built of the same construction methods as McMillan. Same with Brown Precision and Hi-Tech Specialties. All 3 are good, but have different shapes and styles. You have to decide which style suits you better. McMillan offers by far the most options, but that doesn't mean they are a better stock. The quality on all of them is similar.

B&C and HS-Precision use a cheaper method of construction. Their stocks tend to be heavier and thicker. They have to be that way in order to have any strength. But they are considerably cheaper.

Manners and MacMillan stocks are very similar in construction, therefore they are very similar in price. You can buy a similar stock with similar features from either one and have nearly the same stock in the end. Choose the one you like best and go!

Back