Maybe asking too much? Custom Rem 700

I joined this site to seek advice. I built a rifle 8 months ago and as much as I hate to do it Ive got to sell it in order to pay bills. Ive had it online for sale and yet Im wondering if Im either asking too much or if its just not really what a person would be interested in.
Here are the details I would post a link to the listing but dont know if that will violate the forum rules.
The rifle is a Remington 700
I started with a new Remington BDL short action barreled receiver.
I took the barrel off and from that point the following steps were done:
1. The receiver was trued
2. The bolt lugs were lapped for consistent and correct engagement
3. I purchased a Douglas Chrome Moly 30 Cal barrel in the number 8 contour blank, cut the shank, threaded it, lapped the threads to the receiver so that no end shake was present.
4. I then chambered it using a wildcat .308 chamber reamer and the head space is set at the minimum .308 spec which is 1.360"
5. The standard Remington barrel lug was replaced with an oversized barrel lug that was surface ground to a spec of plus or minus 0.0001" in terms of each face being accurate.
6. Remington uses aluminum floor plates. I replaced this with a solid steel floor plate and modified the interior of the mag to accept 6 rather than five rounds.
7. The scope base and rings are Leupold and I had all metal components finished by Walter Birdsong and Associates in the Black T finish.
8. The action was then bedded into a McMillan E2 stock using Marine Tex as the bedding compound.
9. One thing I did, was change out the front sling swivel on the stock with an M14 front sling swivel assy, so as to have the sling swivel to the rear and the mounting stud for the bipod forward of that. The attachments for this were all bedded in.
10. The scope is a Leupold Mark 4 M1 10X with a mil dot reticle (the scope is around a month old but since its not in the box it came in I cant really call it brand new.)
Its a sub minute of angle accurate out to 500 meters.
The only cosmetic defect is an extremely small area (less than the size of a match head) on the left side of the barrel where the Black T got knocked off during a sniper exercise.
I also included a harris bipod, a pelican case, a heavy duty M14 leather competition sling, 10 rounds of Military match 308 168 grain BTHP, as well as 10 rounds of Federal 168 grain BTHP and butt stock plates to adjust the length of pull. Ive fired around 200 rounds through the rifle.
Between the money Ive spent on it and the time I invested into it I dont want to lowball myself, but at the same time I dont want to be asking so much that noone takes an interest.
So for those of you that would know or have a suggestion please let me know a generally good price that would be reasonable to ask for all of this.

Thank you for any and all recommendations.

Ive been asking right around 2K for everything as a package.
rifle1.jpg

rifle2.jpg

rifle10.jpg

rifle3.jpg

rifle6.jpg

rifle4.jpg

Last edited:
#1) Somebody will be interested in it.

#2) We are in a recession & its two weeks until Christmas. Folks are strugglin' to buy $50.00 gift certificates to Dicks Sporting Goods, much less a 2K dollar rifle setup.

#3) People that spend 2K on a rifle with that much built into it like the work to be done by someone they trust. This may be a factor.

My advice is to keep your rifle, go rake leaves & clean gutters for extra money.

As Abel said, a very fine rifle, and you definitely are asking a fair price, you got about $1000 gunsmith labor in it, to go with $1500 in materials.
On the "but" side, you saved yourself a couple 100 by going Douglas instead of Shilen or Walter, reasonable for a home builder, but it hurts resale value. Price wise you're competing against a brand new Savage 12 TR with a good scope, so name recognition on parts would help a lot.

I think the biggest limiting factor is that you built it yourself. As a gunsmith, you have no reputation and no accountability. So in all fairness, you cannot expect someone to pay as much for your rifle as they would a used rifle from a well-known maker. I would say figure out how much a new rifle would cost from a respected source, deduct 25% for it being used and deduct another 25% for the unknown maker. Then you might be in the ballpark.

Well if you think that replacing the barrel will increase value then I dont see that being a problem. No Im not a well known gun smith. Im really not well known period. I appreciate the constructive criticism and the compliments. So what would be a more fair price 1500 or so. I mean thats pretty much the price of the scope and nothing for the rifle though. You mentioned name recognition on parts, um Leupold isnt a recognized name?

Nice rifle!

Keep the price at $2k and keep "advertising" it.

After Christmas time you'll get some interest.

If I had $2k to spend right now, I'd be emailing you already.

I wouldn't change the barrel now, it's working, no reason to sink more money in it. I agree that offering the scope separately or offering it with and without scope might help put it more in the range people are willing to pay. You're just selling at a bad time, after Christmas people know what money they have left, it's tax refund season and the range doesn't look quite as frigid with spring around the corner.

I think the second post hit the nail on the head. We are in a recession and it's 2 weeks before Christmas. Look at the classifieds a few months ago. Everyone was selling off there toys. Guns, cars, hunting rigs, you name it. The economy is coming up, but I think people are waiting a little longer to see if it lasts. I think your asking a fair price. I would wait a little longer. Like around the time people start getting there income tax returns. You might also consider splitting up the gun and the scope

I would add what you have in it in documented cost: system, shaft, barrel, bipod, mounts, scope, and use that as a starting price. Trade your labor for the fact it's used.

To sell it before Christmas? Your just going to have to lose your a**. Ask $999.99 for the rifle by itself. Don't even hint that you have a scope for it. Your line should be, "What's a scope?". Sell the scope seperate for $799.99.

You've gotten good feedback. I think your price is very fair, especially with the McMillan stock and Leupold glass. If you need $$ fast, you might part it out. Sorry I'm not personally in the market ... would like to be able to help you out by taking it off your hands.

I think your price is good, but like Abel said this time of year it might be hard. Like he said you could try it without the scope, that is alot or bucks right there. I wish I had the money for it. I just love rifles period.

I would gladly buy it for $4000 USD + shipping if you can arrange for export to Pakistan (legally) meeting all State Dept.'s export modalities. I dont want the scope as I already have a spare Zeiss.

You might try to move the various components separately: scope, pelican case, etc., if you have having trouble moving the entire ensemble.

Good luck; nice looking rig.

RCB,

I sent you a PM since I am interested in the buying, but your reply was thanks for the offer but no. Seeing that I didn't make you an offer but was asking for you to clarify your price, I am a little confused. I sent a follow up but in case you don't read your PM's..... If you are serious about selling this rifle and are not just looking for the board to appraise it for you, let me know what you want for it. You mention 2K for the package, then mention $1500 for the package, then you mention $1000 - $1200 for the rifle alone. I would just like you to set your price.

Thanks,

JM

Back