May sell two super blackhawks

KEYBEAR

Thinking it may be time to sell off some Rugers .

I have a unfired Ruger Super Blackhawk Tomahawk to Sell . It is Ruger number 8 made for the RCA in around 1976 . All custom work done by Mag-Na-Port . Also a Ruger Super Blackhawk Predator built by Mag-Na-Port in 1983 . The Predator has been shot and is very clean a good 98% condition .

Question is put on consignment at a close to me gun shop or list it on a Auction site . The only bad thing about putting it in a Gun Shop is I really do not like the guns being handled.

List them on one of the auction sites like Gunbroker. Have the barrels been Mag Na Ported? My local gunstore had a 6" model 19 that had been magnaported and he had to drop the price almost a hundred bucks before someone would buy it. A lot of people don't like ported barrels.

I think anything that comes out of Mag-Na-Port is ported . So yes both are Ported but you can not buy a Tomahawk or Predator unported just the way it is . Both have 4.5/8 barrels and i would not order a short barreled revolver ported . But the guns are collectors not shooters so it is what it is . Mag-Na-Port still offers the Predator but at price of $1600.00 and 8 months build time not really for every one .

Then if they are special order and hard to get hopefully they will sell quickly. I sort of figured magnaport cut slots in any gun they got their hands on. If they are rare someone somewhere will want them. Good luck with your sell.

For something like that I'd definitely go the auction route. At the local shop those specialty items will sit for months and get a couple of people interested for 75% of the asking price. The auction will require a number of good pictures and take more work up front, but you'll realize top dollar and sell much quicker.

The only bad thing about putting it in a Gun Shop is I really do not like the guns being handled.

And the fee...;)

On the other hand, consignment is a "fire and forget" munition. You give them the gun, they do all the rest and take their cut when the gun sells.

For an internet auction site, you need to do a the work (good pictures, etc) including having a dealer for your end of the transfer, BUT you reach a huge potential market.

You might try looking for a Ruger Collector website, while a shooter or hunter might be interested in the fired one, only a collector will want (and pay for) the unfired one.

Mag-Na-Port built their business with their unique EDM process for porting barrels, but expanded to do a lot more than that, some really good work was done in those days, I remember magazine articles about the Predator.

Back in those days, Super Blackhawks only came from the factory one way, with the 7.5" barrel. Later there was a 10", but anything else meant custom work. Today Ruger offers a lot more options from the factory.

I'm not a fan of ported guns, but those Mag-Na-port special editions really are neat guns IMHO. Back in the day, when Super Blackhawks were only available from the factory with 7 1/2" barrels, I had two shortened to 5". Were I wanting to sell Mag-na-Port guns, I would go to the extra effort of listing them on one of the internet auction sites. Gunbroker has worked well for the occasional gun I've sold. I set a minimum price, sometimes a Buy-it-Now price, and control all conditions of the auction. I do have to go to the trouble of posting good photos, arranging shipping, etc., but the reasonable expense and overall return have been worth it to me. And nobody gets to play with the gun while waiting for it to sell;)

Over a good many years I consigned my share, but results were pretty lackluster. Usually sat gathering dust in the shop's case for weeks or months. Occasionally, a shop would call and relay some lowball offer to me. Commissions were always at least 20%, etc. Though most did sell, eventually, I never consigned another gun after I learned that internet auction sites really do work.

The Tomahawk sold Last Night . I got a PM about 6:30 pm and sold the Ruger .
The Predator is going on a auction site today .

Back