May be on to something.

BerdanSS

I've been seriously thinking about getting into casting. (thanks Beagle :D, your last two threads pushed me off the teetering edge I've been on for a while :cool:)

Anywho....I spent all my free time this afternoon calling tire stores.....no luck, they all do recycling programs with used wheel weights. But the last one I called is where we have our two big trucks we pull trailers with serviced. Guy I talked to said they "don't do anything with theirs" and "ya want 'em?" :eek: Holy cow YES! I said. besides light to heavy pickup and van fleet service...their # 1 deal is mounting Semi truck tires...I'm getting pretty excited about going there tomorrow to pick them up.

Last edited:
Now that'll surely get you off the fence and into the business full bore! Lead is the hardest component of casting to find, and free is even better!
I hope they got a mountain of it for ya! :D

I'm guessing since 85% of there business is tire mounting for large trucks, that most of the weights will be the big ones? Are all wheel weights created equal? Do I need to worry about getting some weirdo mix?

berdan, 3/27//13

When I used to get my free wheel weight lead from the local tire stores I'd always take a pizza to the workers and a 5-gallon bucket from Home Depot to replace the one I took with me. Thus they were more motivated to save the lead than they might have been otherwise. This worked well for a while till the percentage of zinc or iron wheel weights crept up to about 30% of the mix and I moved on to the scrap yards (at $0.50/pound). Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

I called all around town. All the stores except one have theirs picked up by their recycling service.

However I found one that will sell me their weights at $20 a 5-gallon bucket.

I'm betting about 20% of the bucket is useless junk.

My ingots of wheel weight lead end up costing me about $.20 a pound, as I recall.

Steve

Finally got to pick up the wheel weights...they gave me a full 5 gallon bucket for this week....90% are tractor weights :)

Last edited:
Back