Maximum Range of Shotgun Pellets

Either the NRA or the ammo makers should be able to give you that,Davey. Toll Free Directory Assistance is 800-555-1212.

.........Though these are not official figures, I'd say that anything beyond a #5 shot will probably not go farther than 300 yards (I'm being optimistic) in the woods, don't try for over 75.... ANYthing slows them suckers down :)

------------------
To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.

Get a copy of the NRA firearms fact book. That information is in there.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.

Davey in NM,
Are you talking range as how far the pellets will go?
Or are you talking about EFFECTIVE range?

Number 9 pellets (quail) the effective range is about 40 yards.

I'm interested in the MAXIMUM range. We are designing a shotgun range and need to know how large a buffer zone we need.

I contacted Winchester and they told me to call SAAMI. When I called SAAMI, the voice mail said the guy would not be back until next week.

My copy of the NRA Firearms Fact Book must be too old. It does not contain any information on maximum shot pellet ranges.

If anyone has the figures, or has a recent copy and could tell me what it says about the range of No. 7-1/2 and No. 9 shot from 12 gauge hunter and target loads, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.

We're going to be building a new trap & skeet range too. That's why asked that question at http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/Forum2/HTML/001030.html

Seems that 300 yards was a fair estimate, though firmer numbers sure would be nice.

But if I can convince them that some of us would like to try using our .22 semi-autos against those clay pigeons, then we REALLY need a high backstop. Thus I'm evaluating locations where we have a high ridge or mountain in front of the shooters. Fortunately we have such areas in Central Colorado. Unfortunately most are darn near inaccessible half the year and the rest have landowners that may not be amenable to shooters and lead deposition. But we're still searching. Such a range would even let buckshot shooters try hitting clays.

Maybe I'll ask over at the Shotgun Sports forum http://www.shotgunsports.com/talkgrou.htm

I don't remember where I have it (I'll try to dig it out), but the maximum range or pellets is directly related to their diameter: bigger ones go much further than smaller ones. 300 yards is OK for all bird pellet sizes, but of course buckshot would go further if shot at the ideal (about 35º) angle.

Back