"MAXFIRE" Speedloaders??

I've seen them...

but I currently have either HKS or Safariland Competition loaders for all my guns.

When I first saw them, they were going for $19.95 each. Perhaps I misread it, but that squelched my curiousity. At $20 for six, I'd be more inclined, but I'm still pretty well covered.

They look good, should work.

Sorta like a round Speed Strip. Instead of the rims being fully encirled, they are open between the 4 0'clock and 8 o'clock on the bottom so that you can slide the shells into place. Tension is provided by what looks like spring steel C-clips imbedded in the rubber body of the loader. Rounds are staggered in pairs instead of being equally positioned as with other designs.

Consider the face of a clock as I try to describe this.:) When you hold onto the ring, and position the loader over the cylinder, the rounds at the 4 and 8 enter the chambers first. They project furthest outward from the loader and are seated totally up to the rim. The 9 and 3 shells follow, and remain out further, with the 10 and 2 rounds ending up about 1/2 way in. This all occurs in one motion just as with any other loader. Then, you peel the loader toward the 12 o'clock by pulling upward on the ring. Just like you peel off a pair at a time with a Speed Strip, only all six are done at once.

Obviously, you must orient the cylinder and the loader so that you are not attempting to peel the ring toward the gun. Traditional units don't require this. How well the little tension rings will hold up under use is unknown, what with the whole unit constantly flexing and stressing. Many competitive shooters keep the gun in the strong hand and load with the weak hand without supporting the cylinder at all. IMO, the effort exerted in using the Maxfire would put undue stress on the crane with any such technique.

All in all, they are an inexpensive trial-and-error if you find that you don't care for them.:)

Many competitive shooters keep the gun in the strong hand and load with the weak hand without supporting the cylinder at all. IMO, the effort exerted in using the Maxfire would put undue stress on the crane with any such technique.

I think you're right. I got some a few weeks ago just to check them out. The one's that I got were for 8-shot .357. The whole technique described in the instructions is totally at odds with the way that I normally employ a speedloader. It is essentially to do as you said, operating the loader with the left hand while holding the gun with the right. The loaders don't let go of the rounds very easily and it takes some strength to swipe the loader down towards "8 o'clock". Could be because I got an 8-round version, but I don't think I'll be using them much.

Try holding the cylinder in your left palm, with the ejector rod between your index and thumb, or index and forefinger. Then, use your strong hand to perform the rip on the loader.

Mine came in the mail today. I'm using them on a 5-shot SP101, stripping the loader off doesn't take much effort. Takes a little practice to get it right.
I don't shoot competition, got them for my bedside gun. I am a little disappointed in the lack of 'grip' they have on the cases, seems like they would come off the loader if carried in a pocket or dropped.
The instructions bragged about how the cylider would swing shut when the loader was stripped away, I can't get it to do that and really don't want it to. That would be like slamming the cylinder closed by flicking the wrist "Hollywood" style.

I talked to the inventors at the last SHOT show about the loaders. It was pretty obvious that they had done almost all their product testing at the workbench. They were unable to show me how to use the system if there were empty cases in the gun. I was very underwhelmed with the product, but I would be interested in hearing a shooter's impression of them, especially an IDPA or IPSC competitor.

Back