Maverick 88

Gbnk82

So ive been in the market for a shotgun for a while and am getting one off buds next payday.i was until recently set on the mossy 500 8 shot 12 ga that also comes with a pistol grip (a plus to me but will probably never use it) for 365 plus 25to my ffl so a hair over 400 with tax.they also have a nice maverck 88 8 shot for 245 with ffl and tax i end about 300.. i know these seemi to bethe almost the same guns and mossberg owns maverick but my question is will i take any quality drop off by getting the maverick if i can save over 100 dollars id love to do that but not if it means sacraficing reliability..and if these are the same gun is there actually any difference in the two physically or mechanically besides saftey location? Thanks

Also incase it helps with information any this gun is going to be used for both bedside home defense and range use my step father likes shooting skeet so i would use this to shoot with him.

Is the 500 the Persuader model that is blue finish? If it is, then I believe the 500 model you are writing about has an actual action-slide tube assembly. The Maverick 88 will not have this and instead the forend will be pinned. This method works, but is not as robust as a tube assembly and tends to make the action a bit sloppy. Also, with the pinned forend, you can not change the forend without buying the tube assembly (since it is all one piece). With the tube assembly, you can change out forends fairly easy.

The tube assembly alone runs approx $50-$70 depending on where you buy. (example : http://www.promagindustries.com/product-p/pm194.htm )

The tube assembly with the tighter action and ability to change out forends is worth the price difference in my opinion (just make sure the 500 you're looking at has a tube assembly).

Also, the Maverick 88 has different safety and slide release locations then all other Mossbergs. I much prefer Mossbergs standard controls over the Maverick's Remington-like" control locations.

Yeah it is the persuader model..i was unaware of the different foreends will the pinned affect the reliabilty at all compared to the 500?

While I haven't heard of failed forends that are one peice/pinned, If you are asking my opinion, then the steel action slide tube assembly is much stronger.

Heres the deal. I bought a Mossberg 500 late 2012. It was a combo set-up from Cabellas. It came iwth a 18.5" home defense barrel and a 28" vent rib (w/ changable chokes) sporting barrel. It was a decent price so I went ahead and bought it. What I didn't know, and found out soon enough, was the Combo deal from Cabelas used a pinned forend (to keep the cost down with the added barrel.. no wonder such a good "deal").

The forend was a bit slippry for me and I wanted to change it to a Hogue rubber forend. That is when I found out about the difference between pinned and tube assembly. Cost me a boat load to change out the forend becuase I had to also buy the tube assembly as well as the new forend.

Removing the pinned forend, I got a good look at how cheap it really is. After I put on the Tube assembly with the new Hogue forend, it was like a different gun.. no more slop while pumping the action and much stronger overall.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to skip the Combo deal and buy a persuader with the tube assembly.. then buy another barrel later.

I just went and got my pinned forend I took off and took some pictures for you to look at. The forend is all plastic (with exception of the action bars) and the mechanisim that is supposed to make it tight is a thin piece of spring metal.. If you look, you can see how it could break. Compare this to the tube assembly I linked above and you make the call.

Like I siad, my opinion, I would never buy another shotgun with a pinned forend.

I see what you mean perbaps ill just be better off spending tbe extra 100 and saving myslef the time and headache of having to deal with it later..im also eventually wanting to get a pump with the built in tac light that comes on some persuaders since i plan on it being a bedside gun i most likely wouldnt be able to do that on the 88 withouth putting the new tube on and end up spending the extra cash anyway..thanks and thank you for the pics i was a bit confused before seeing it

Last edited:
These are the two which were in question.im still up in the air the price tag is playing a big factor but the forend situation has me a bit concerned..just out of curiosity how hard was it to switch them out was it just unscrewing the one and screwing in the replacment or was there more to it..

Maverick 88
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/42628/maverick_31046_88_12_20_cyl_8rd

Mossy 500
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/46281/mossberg_50579_500sp_12_20_cb__8sh_syn_pgk

Not sure why you're concerned about fixing a "problem" you don't even know that you'll have. I've had my Mav. 88 for going on two years now, paid $177 at Walmart and then bought an 18.5" bbl. for it for another $75. When it's not at the trap range it sits under my bed. I have about 1500-2000 rounds through it to-date without any problem. The stock and fore-end are just fine, and I prefer the safety location over any other pump I tried.

Not sure why you're concerned about fixing a "problem" you don't even know that you'll have.

Well, he asked what was different between the two. He also stated:

im also eventually wanting to get a pump with the built in tac light that comes on some persuaders

If that is something he is even considering doing, changing the forend at all, then it certainly is a problem.

Now, if he was able to handle the Maverick 88 and find that he liked the forend, then he could always buy a magtube tri-rail:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laserlyte-T...-12-Gauge-Shotguns-ADP-TRIR-140-/400468261657

Then add a weapon light:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NcSTAR-Gen-...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=4&rkt=5&sd=171096235446&

... and have a detachable weapon light for HD purposes.

I have the same light set-up on mine for when it sits in the house in its HD role. It works well and the light is very bright. I just did not like the cheap feeling forend and went with the much better (IMO) Hogue forend/stock combo.

Not sure how much shopping around you've done, but if you live in a larger town and shop around a bit, you can probably find significantly lower prices on both of those guns than in the links you posted, especially with an FFL fee.

Ive searched a bit in my area ive got 3to pawn shop and a walmart and gander mountain gander has the mossy but for 400a my local ffl hasnt had many in lately but if he did i know he would beat the price on them for me..as for the other two the one i havent checked because its on the other side of town and im never down there and i refuse to go in the other pawn shop because of the owners .

Ill have to check around at some of the other walmarts.im outside the ocala area and the only one i know of around here didnt have either last time i was there

I'm a Mossberg guy and would/have gladly spend the extra hundred dollars. That said a friend of mine has the Maverick 88, he's had it for several years with no problems whatsoever. 100% reliability. He paid $149 at Bi-mart here in Oregon.

Boomer

The Maverick is a good gun. Don't be afraid to buy it. All of the "what ifs" (and sometimes misinformation even) you'll find on the Internet will keep you running in circles (I know because I've been there and done that more than once before). In fact I bought two of the Mossberg 500' (with action tubes), choosing them over the Maverick in years past because of Internet "chatter". Now that I have the Maverick 88 I find it to be no less of a shotgun. The Maverick is a good solid shotgun with a record of reliability.

Last edited:
Well ive decided to get the maverick at the price point an d quality it makes more sense for me..plus after doing a little math even if im not happy with the forend and want to replace it i still save about 10 bucks if i buy the mossy action slide and replace it.plus if im not completely happy with it in a year it just gives me an excuse to give my wife to buy another gun down the road :).im going friday to shop around ill post pics if i find anything..thanks

Well ordered my mav from buds on friday its only been a little over 2 days but the anticipation is killing me i cant wait to get it out on the range ill put up some pics when it gets here but thanks everyone for your input i appreciate the help..

P.s waspinator thats a beautiful gun what kind of shell holder do you use and how does it work..i got a cheap allen slip on holder for under 5 bucks but dont have alot of faith in it

Heh,

That's a cheap field and stream slip on I got for $5 from Dick's , lol ;)

I prefer the simple stretchy nylon stock cuffs over the fancy hard side-saddles that are all the rage these days. When it wears out, I just buy a new one.

I don't like a lot of stuff sticking off my gun and in fact I don't even like the light that much.... but, when it is sitting in HD mode, I leave it on just in case (know what your pointing at!).

Not sure which gun you ordered but if you want to use a pistol grip I'd go Maverick. I've had both the Mav and the 500 and the safety is much more reachable on the Mav with a pistol grip. However, using the pistol grip I'd recommend the 6 shot versus the 8 shot.

Back