Maverick 88 with Slugs and Magnum Cartidges

Emaroquin

Inactive
Hi everyone, I want to ask you guys about something.
Is the Maverick 88 capable of shooting Slugs (Like this ones http://www.remington.com/~/media/Images/Ammunition/Shotshells/MRslugger.ashx?w=570&bc=ffffff ) or will I wear out the barrel? The same question with Magnum Cartridges.

Someone told me that it is not recomendable to use Slugs and Magnum Cartridges on Maverick 88 shotguns, or else I will wear out the barrel or even brake some parts inside the shotgun, because he said it is not designed for heavy loads.

I want to read your opinions and experiences about it.

It will do fine with slugs and magnum loads. You maybe don't want to use an extra full choke when shooting some slugs, but there's no reason they would wear out the barrel.

I own a Mossberg 500, which I believe uses the same barrels as the 88s. I've shot foster slugs, Brennekes, 3" turkey loads, 3" steel loads, buckshot, and various other game and target loads. No negative effects on the barrel that I can discern.

That "someone" is an idiot. You won't wear out a barrel doing that at all. Now, you MIGHT wear out your shoulder doing it however......:eek:

As far as magnum buckshot , my wife's maverick has held up great her shoulder not so much. It's a light weight gun so it kicks hard. I had lots of laughs watching her

Plummer, The "88" is made by Mossberg. Its just an economical 500.

I have one, it will hold up to whatever you run through it. And yes its a lightweight gun.

Mine has been relegated to home defense with a HD barrel and Streamlight. I trust the reliability of it that much

I had at least one Mossberg when there still was a lot of small game hunting going on. They had a bad name for being cheap back then, but I had no complaints.

"...Who manufactures "Maverick"?..." It's a low end Mossberg M500. Exactly the same gun with a low end synthetic stock. Nothing 'new' about 'em though.
No 3" magnums out of an 88. A 2.75" magnum will be fine, except for the pain shooting 'em out of a 7 pound shotgun will cause.
http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/maverick-88/
Wearing out the barrel is just silly. Nothing to wear out in a smooth bore.

I've never shot slugs out of my maverick 88 but I've shot probably close to 1000 rounds of 2 3/4 and 3 inch buckshot. No issues so far.

Back