maverick 88 or mossberg 500?

should i get the maverick 88 and save myself some money or go for the moss berg 500?

• maverick 88

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • mossberg 500

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Killabee-23

hey guys i am looking at getting a new shotgun and i was looking at the moss berg 500. And then i saw the maverick 88 and it was the same gun except for a cross bolt safety and a pinned for grip. but the maverick 88 was substantially cheaper and I'm wondering why that is. I've been told its because the tang safety on the 500 costs more to build so thats why they have to charge more for it but other than that whats the difference? I'm thinking I'm just gonna get the maverick 88 and save myself some money. lol

I recently bought a 88. There was only about $70.00 difference in price but the 88 did not have a ported barrel and the 500 did. The gun will be used for trap occasionally and I do not like to shoot next to someone with a ported barrel so will not have one myself. For hunting the 500 would have been a better choice, as it comes with three chokes (88 only one) a wood stock and the tang safety is faster (for me).

In the past I shot a lot of trap and skeet and owned a number of different shotguns. The 88 and 500 are basically the same gun and either will last you a long time. Good luck with what ever you decide.:)

thanks for the opinions guys im only gonna use it for range fun so i think im just gonna go with the 88 i like the tang safety better also but it just doesn't seem to be worth the extra money for a tang safety and a ported barrel oh and a screw on for grip but like you said sheepman there basically the same gun

A ported barrel does nothing but add to the price. Some claim that it improves patterns, but to take advantage of the porting you would have to be in the top 5% of shooters.

And by the way the tang safety falls off sooner or later!

A Maverick M88 is a Mossberg M500. Difference is primarily the stock material.
"...A ported barrel does nothing but add to the price..." Reduces the muzzle jump and felt recoil. Doesn't do spit for the pattern. M500's don't all come with a ported barrel either.

Believe what you want, but porting or muzzle brakes do not work well on low pressure calibers.

At 50K psi they work great but at 10K PSI I don't think so.

Porting is the best way to separate you from your money in the shotgun world. No major maker of target shotguns, except Browning, ports their barrels........none. Because it does nothing but your gun louder to the folks on either side of you. And ported choke tubes are even more ridiculous a gimmick.

Back