Mausers

Mike Root

Inactive
George and friends,

I just ordered two Mausers, The first a Spanish from SOG in 308. I've heard that the steel in these isn't up to NATO 308? If so I'll have Ace make me an adapter for 7.62/39. Then lighten and shorten to make a nice walk-around rifle. The other a Swede that I got from SAMCO, SOG was out. This one hopefully will remain a pristine military nostalgia deer rifle. Any comments?

Mike Root

------------------

Mike, I think the Swede will make a very nice rifle for whitetails. As far as the Spanish, unless you reload or only shoot American made ammo your accuracy is gonna suck out of the .308 bore. Or at least I've not seen very good results out of any. When I first started converting Mausers to 7.62x39 I experimented with a couple of .308 tubes and the results weren't bad, they were nearly non existant. When using Federal ammo the accuracy was there but using surplus it was a great accomplishment to get 2 rounds on the same target at 100 yds. It may have just been the ammo but I don't think so. Since then I only rebarrel for these conversions. With a .311 bore you'll get good accuracy with both typs of ammo. George

I hope the Swede turns out ot be a very nice rifle, because a nice one of these is one of the best there is. Check it for head space after you get it. Even Swedes sometimes have problems.
I am afraid that the Spanish Mausers converted to 7.62 CETME have a terrible reputation. Many, if not all (?) of these are Mauser 1893 type actions originally made for 7mm Mauser. The old 7mm Mauser was originally loaded to at 42,000 psi. The 308 Win. can be loaded to 55,000 psi, a substantial difference in itself. The Spanish fired a special 7.62 CETME (same size as the 7.62 NATO/308 Win) cartridge in these rifles which took this into consideration.
Unfortunately, this is not the only thing alledged to be wrong with these rifles. At Truco's Masuer forum, there are posts condemning these rifles right now and I have been looking at them. The Spanish made receivers are said to be softer than most and particullary subject to be set back by too heavy a load. Since your rifle could well have already fired a regular 7.62 NATO round, it is imparative to have the headspace checked in these rifles. Alas, this is not good enough by itself. One man claims to have seen chambers so sloppy that rounds could be wiggled in them. Head spacing does not necessarily detect overly big or buldged chambers. Some of the rifles had barrel liners put into them, maybe slopily, and this is another cause for concern.
To top it off, another man gives a discription of one of these Spanish 7.62's going up on him, apparently from excess head space. The gases blew out through the magazine, blowing it appart and taking some nice chunks out of his left hand in the process. That is another problem. If one of these 1893 type Mausers do go bad on you, they will not handle the escaping gases as well as a Model 98 Mauser.
Another man demands that all of these rifles should be taken off the market, because he is convinced that they are all potential disasters waiting to happen. Others say this goes too far.
If you do want to shoot this thing, have the head space and chamber carefully checked. Find out if it has a relined bore. If someone knoledgable like a real gunsmith thinks it is all OK, then shoot it with reduce loads like it was meant to handle. Some say to use loads developed for the 300 Savage, but I cannot vouch for this.
I am sorry to be so down one these Spanish rifles, especially when I am not actually sure of what model you have really ordered, but you should know that they do indeed have a clouded reputation.
As for the adapters, I know nothing of these.

Howdy all,

Since there is a mauser thread going, thought I would ask about Mauser actions. Can anyone tell me what are considered type 2 and type 3 actions? Midway USA has a special right now on 7x57 chambered barrels and walnut stocks to fit a Type 2 Mauser action.

I believe the 98k's are type 3? Are the type 2's Spanish mausers and/or others? Since all I really want is the action I just need to know what is current military surplus that might be out there to look for at the gun shows.

Doctari

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctari:
Howdy all,

Since there is a mauser thread going, thought I would ask about Mauser actions. Can anyone tell me what are considered type 2 and type 3 actions? Midway USA has a special right now on 7x57 chambered barrels and walnut stocks to fit a Type 2 Mauser action.

I believe the 98k's are type 3? Are the type 2's Spanish mausers and/or others? Since all I really want is the action I just need to know what is current military surplus that might be out there to look for at the gun shows.

Doctari
[/quote]
Doctari, It tells you right in the Midway catalog. Series II (93/94/96), Series III (98 Large Ring). It even shows you how to measure which is which.

Joefo

Ooops thanks,

I was looking at the web page, guess I'll dig out that catalog and look it over more closely!!

Doctari

Mike,
What model is the Spanish Mauser?
I ask because I just bought an FR8, and in the research I've done ( do a search in the rifle forum- in one thread there will be a couple of links, one good one is something like Spanish Steel) the FR8 is made on a 98 type action (8mm), the FR7 is made on a 93 type action (7mm). By the time the Spanish started making FR's the 7.62 NATO round had been adopted and the Cetme C barrels used for the FR's were for this round not the lower powered 7.62 Cetme.
If it is one of the Gaurdia Civil Mausers, they were built on the M1916 action which is a 93 type. Don't know anything about the barrels, but the action is a little less desirable than a 98.
HTH
bergie

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited April 30, 2000).]

Bergie,

I ordered it from SOG. It's supposed to be a 1916. I shoot nato in my Mas and like it but have heard so many horror stories I thought I might go to 7.62/39. I do reload so I could build reduced 308's but I hate to have two levels of the same caliber. When we get old we tend to forget. I think thats what we do, I forget I've been reading about casting basically wadcutters for it also, that may be an even better idea. I've got some 90 gr plinker bullets somewhere. that might also do it.

The adapter I was talking about was from MCA in Alaska. I've got a 22 insert for my Thompson Center 223 and it works fine. I can't rechamber for $20.00

thanks to all for the input.

Mike

"If you can't be good, you might as well quit. Being good just takes lots of practice"

------------------

Yes the FR-8 was based on the Spanish '43 mauser which is a 98 action with 2 lugs and a safty lug.

The FR-7 / 1916 is based on a 93 action with 2 lugs and NO safty lug

I am probably going to convert my 1895 Chilian 7.62nato over to .308x39mm (my personal desingation)due to many people saying the the conv to .308nato was not as good as could have been done.

Back