Mauser?

Model12Win

Are milsurp Mausers fun? I have 200 rounds of Romanian 8x57mm I don't have a gun for. :)

Have always been interested in the military Mausers, I love the clip feed, much nicer than the clip feed system on a Mosin Nagant. I also see 8mm ammo is hovering around $0.50 per round so not excessively high.

If you were interested in history and have 200 rounds of 8mm ball in your closet, would you pick up something like a Yugo M48 Mauser?

Should I get me a milsurp Mauser, guys? What do you think?

I had an 8x57 M98 from south America and it was fun right up to when I got sick of it. I later got an M1 Grand from the old DCM. I like that better on every level.

If I was to get another M98 military surplus, I would like to try a 7x57. Or for a bolt a 1903 Springfield.

I dont see 200 rounds of old surplus ammo as a reason to buy a gun. On the other hand, nothing wrong with the 8x57 or the old Mauser 98.

A year ago when they were $250 for one in excellent shape yes, now? I don't know, they are a bit harder to find but if you do I would say jump on it.

Last edited:
Note that most of the Yugo surplus rifles were either made in Belgium or copies of the Belgian FN Model 24 Mauser, which has a shorter receiver than the standard German Model 98. This makes little difference except that accessories like scope mounts made for the German K98k might not fit the Yugo rifles.

Jim

Note that most of the Yugo surplus rifles were either made in Belgium or copies of the Belgian FN Model 24 Mauser, which has a shorter receiver than the standard German Model 98. This makes little difference except that accessories like scope mounts made for the German K98k might not fit the Yugo rifles.

Jim
I would never scope it. I do not want a bubba gun. Something about IRON SIGHTS and a classic military bolt... just not sure.

I say do it!!
For many years i've passed up on deals like the old Mausers, M1 Carbine, FAL and such.

I'm rebarreling a commercial Mauser action to 284 Win.
I bought a barrel in 250 Savage to put on my Stevens 200 action.
Thinking of ( more like planning to) sell wife's Rossi R243 and get a Savage 11VT.

Of course the wife knows of none of this, especially how much it costs.

Theyre fun guns. I once had the chance to shoot a Yugoslav made Mauser and it was pretty cool. If I ever came across one for $300ish, Id buy it.

I would never scope it. I do not want a bubba gun.

I would point out that, despite common attitudes today, its only a "bubba" gun if BUBBA did the work on it, and did it POORLY.

Yes, there are a lot of examples of that, but not every sporterized milsurp is a "bubba gun". I've had (and in some cases still have) sporterized Mausers in calibers from .22-250 to .458 Win Mag. Guns full equal, and in many cases exceeding contemporary commercial rifles in fit, finish and function. I've built several, myself.

I don't do it today, haven't for ages, simply because I don't need to, not because I consider the unaltered milsurp some kind of holy historical artifact. (and its not cheap to do anymore, like it used to be..;))

I have 3 "GI issue" 8mms in my collection, currently, a 98k with the winter triggerguard, a VZ-24, and a Yugo 48. The 48 is like new condition. GI Mausers are seldom tack drivers. They don't have the best sights for precision work, either. They can be fun to shoot however.

Buy one, if the price is right, and enjoy it. BORROW one to shoot up that 200rnds, for the experience, if you can. DO clean it properly because that milsurp ammo WILL have corrosive priming. The brass will also be Berdan primed, useless for anything other than scrap value, once fired.

Any milsurp is fun to shoot. Far moreso than any commercial hunting rifle. Which one really doesn't matter too much.
Anyway, an M48 is a Yugoslav version of a K98 made by Zastava Arms in Yugoslavia. An M24 is as prewar FN made version of the earlier GEW 98. And then it gets weird.
Lotta players involved with Yugo Mausers. However, everybody and his brother plus all their cousins and their cousin's friends used Mausers. Not that it matters. Any of 'em will do. Just remember milsurps are addictive.

I didn't mean to use it as a disparaging term. But I don't like when people butcher classic milsurp or feel possessed to refinish them etc. Some are excellent and worthy of the quality work. But I have seen MANY done terribly and it all but wrecks the history IHHO.

I think ANY Mauser 98 is great fun, but I am not sure I would buy a gun just because I happen into some ammo. If you do, the Yugo 48 is a great rifle and lots of fun, the 48A (stamped sheet metal mag box/trigger guard) is nice as well. Either will be a great addition to your shooting routine.

And as far as ruining pieces of history, no one is sporterizing Mausers any more, for what that costs you can buy a Remington 700 and have money left over.

Last edited:
The Yugos are good rifles.
24, 24/47, 48, 48A.

Pick one. You can't go wrong unless you get an M48A and don't like stamped bottom metal.

But, as mentioned above, you do need to be aware of the intermediate action length, if planning to make any changes or if repairs are needed. Bolt parts and bottom metal are not interchangeable with standard-length Mausers; and standard stocks won't fit.

The Yugos are good rifles.
24, 24/47, 48, 48A.

Don't overlook the 98/48, which were postwar reworks of German K98k rifles. Most (maybe all) were rebarreled and saw little use, so they make great shooters. They are standard length Mauser 98 actions, and many still have some German markings.

I really doubt you are going to see much more surplus 8mm Mauser ammo coming in... if so, maybe some of that Romanian steel cased stuff.

I don't see the ammo getting to .303 (there is a trickle of it, but feel it turned into a reloader's cartridge) in the next year or so... but figure it will in the next 5 years. It isn't .30-06, and not a lot of common US rifles were chambered in it. Considering the sporterization, also sometimes included conversions, the Mauser design had a few other standard calibers. I feel 8mm will stick around commercially for some time, but if I were looking at a Mauser with consideration of adding a new caliber, I'd probably opt for one in .30-06 or 7.62mm. For the latter, I'd say find an Israeli K98.

In regards to the ammo, I'd sell it unless you actually want a Mauser in 8mm. Why put money out buying a $300+ rifle to shoot $100 to $120 worth of ammo? Can easily make $100 to put towards another firearm.

I picked up a M48A back in 2015... rifle, accessories, and bayonet for $295 (shipped). Rifle was in great shape, and not likely selling it. But for an investment, I feel my Ishapore 2A1 was a better choice... being 7.62mm.

Don't over look the Czech rifles. The vz-24 and 98/22 are very well made rifles. Seem to be better made than the Yugo rifles. IMO Go for about the same $$

I think all guns are fun. But I'm like that.

I have a couple of 8x57s.

There's an interesting story about the BO model 98s and they were made the year I was born so when I saw these advertised back in the late 1980s for $59 I have to have one.

standard.jpg

About five years ago I got the urge to have an original Nazi 98 with all the markings intact. Got this off Gunbroker for $250. So called "Russian Capture" model which also has an interesting history.

standard.jpg

Saw this at a local show a few years ago tagged at $450. I had to have it. Built by a Bavarian craftsman using a Czech military 98 as a base it has panache.

standard.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed my 8mm mauser phase.
You should get either one and have at it! My favorite was my M43 Spanish. Balanced great for field carrying and was accurate enough.

Back