Mauser

Joefo

Harley, What do you know about a 98 Mauser mfd. by Firearms Co. Alpine Made in England. Seems to be a Mk X looking gun. Shoots real nice.

Joefo

Joefo:
The only Mark X's, Model 98 action that I am aware of, are made by Whitworth. I also find that the Whitworth's barrels are better made and produce better groups. I have one in .243 and it is a real driver. Less than 1/4 MOA from a machine bench rest.

HJN

Joe, I think a lot of Mauser and M17 actions post 1918 were re-cycled by BSA and other Brum manufacturers by grinding off the german markings and numbers, re bluing and branding them as 'Made in England'. The law allowed them to do that at the time and many were exported in many varied calibres to anywhere in the world.
I personally cannot think of a better or stronger base for a sporting or target rifle can you ?

This particular action doesn't have the thumb cut for loading so I don't think it ever was military. It is marked "Alpine Made in England".It has the traditional British "BNP" proof marks on the barrel, bolt, and receiver.

Joefo

Joefo. According to the 45th Ed. GUN DIGEST: The Alpine rifle;
Cal. 22-250,243 Win., .270,.30-06, 7MM Mag., 8MM, 5 shot magazine (3 for magnum)
Barrel: 23" standard (24" mag.)
Weight: 7.5 lbs.
Stock: European Walnut full p.g. and Monte Carlo, checkerd p.g. and forend; rubber recoil pad;white line spacers; sling swivels.
Sights: ramp front; rear adjustable for W & E
Features: Made by Firearms Co. Ltd. in England. Imported by Mandall Shooting Supplies.
Sorry. That's all I could find.
Maybe Mandall can give you more info.
Mandall Shooting supllies Inc., 3616 N. Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85251; Ph: (602) 945-2553.
I hope the area code is O.K. and the Phoenix-Scottsdale area now has several area codes due to overpopulation.
From the picture in the Digest, it looks like you have one sweet rifle. Hope this was of some help.
Paul B.

Paul, That's the one. I seem to remember the name "Mandall" coming up somewhere along the line. It didn't come from them though. My brother bought it in Germany many years ago and brought it back to me. It is a real decent gun that shoots real nice. I have a Leupold 3-9 on top of it. Ihave been using it to hunt with for many many years. I'll try to contact Mandall about any history they may have about it. Thanks.

Joefo

Back