Mauser

locobass

Inactive
Have a Argentina 1891 Mauser manufacturd in Loewe Berlin Sir#C52217. Was told that it's a 7.65X54 but the round will not fit in the magazine, it does fit in chamber, I have not fired the weapon. Question why does the round fit in chamber but not the magizine, could it be a different caliber?

The first obvious thing is that the cartridge has too great an overall length (OAL). An overly-long cartridge, particularly if the bullet is not a heavy, round-nose type, will easily fit in the chamber.

The odds are that the cartridge you tried is probably correct as to case-size and caliber, but without measuring the bore, I'd be a bit nervous about really believing this.

Use an inside-caliper and measure across the groove diameter. Pull a bullet from one of your cartridges and measure it. If they're the same, you're ready to test-fire, I guess.

I'll defer to anybody with more knowledge of this particular animal.

I have been known to tie such a gun to a tire, and using a long piece of string...

:), Art

Per Ludwig Olsen, in "Mauser Bolt Rifle", the original overall length of the cartridge made for this rifle was 3.07". If your cartridges exceed 3" by much at all, this is probably the problem.
If it is the problem, I wopuld not trust an ammo maker who gets things so obviously wrong. Who knows what else he might have done?

Locobass. First off, the Argentine Mauser is a 7.65x53MM not 7.65x54MM. One silly millimeter only works in cigarette commecials. Looking in my Lyman reloading manual,#47, the maximum overall length of the round should be 2.970". The trim to length is 2.100" for the brass.
Hope this was of some help.
Paul B.

Back