Mauser - was ist das?

I picked up a Mauser action with a 250 Savage barrel.
After googling around for a while, I'm confused as to whether it's a "large ring" "small ring" commercial, military conversion, or what. I couldn't find a reference source that identifies the different species with pictures. So what do I have here?
6e5ef1d49a0798daaf269150f52314cb_zps19b49d0c.jpg

a1f70318081a4eed36791506aeba2765_zps55014ef1.jpg

Since I cannot clearly make out the receiver crest marking, except for "Herstal, Leige", I believe you have a sporterized (rebarreled, restocked, D/T'd for scope, altered bolt handle, etc, etc) 1889 Mauser - as exemplified by it's single-column external magazine, small receiver ring, and "cock-on-closing" features, in addition to not having the upgraded gas-handling & other safety features of the later 1898 Mauser (Mauser 98).

IIRC, they're usually referred to as Argentine Mausers, as Argentina gave Mauser a large contract for military rifles.

The 250 Savage is most likely at the top limit of what the action can handle.

Last edited:
FWIW, I just magnified your pic, and realized your rifle is based on a Model 1889, and not a Model 1891, Mauser.

The receiver crest markings are FABRIQUE NATIONALE, HERSTAL-LIEGE.
You have a FN made 1889 made for the Belgian army.

Yup, it is a Belgian Mauser, also known as the Model 1889. The magazine is removeable, but was normally meant to be loaded through the top of the action from a stripper clip. The bolt has dual front locking lugs, only, no third or safety lug as later Mausers had. Nevertheless, the gun's normal cartridge was the 7.65 X 53, which is a powerful round operating in the upper 40 thousands pressure. It should be strong enough for the 250 Savage if in good condition. The Argentine Mauser of 1891 is essentially the same action, using the same original cartridge.

That is one old Mauser. I don't know what smokeless loads were being used in 1889 vintage rifles, that is still in the blackpowder era and the metallurgy of the period stunk.

You just don’t know what they did not know, about steels back then, until you study the topic.

Obviously it has been shot with 250 Savage loads, but I would error on the side of caution developing any loads for the thing.

Back