Mauser VZ-24 Base

draines5

Inactive
Hi all...
I recently decided to upgrade to a new NIkon scope for my VZ-24 Mauser in 7mm (7x57), and am having a hard time with finding a base that will fit. There is currently a Buehler base/rings, but due to ring spacing I have taken them off for the new Nikon scope.
Here is the problem:
I purchased a single-piece base Leupold model# 49988 for the FN Mauser, and it does not fit. The front 2 holes match, but the rear (third) hole falls short by about 1/8". On a guess I went to the gun store with the old Buehler base to match holes and ended up with a Remington 700 LA base (Leupold Model #50004), which matches all 3 holes perfectly, BUT is flat across the bottom. The Mauser needs the 'thicker' base at the rear (third) hole.

I surprisingly can't find any specifications on the hole measurements on any manuf websites. Anyway, I do not have a caliper to get the specific distances, but the spacing of the front 2 holes is approx 0.850" (center-to-center). The distance from the second hole to the third hole is approx 4.48" (c-t-c).

The Rem 700 LA spacing is the same as the Mauser old Buehler base...but doens't have the thicker 'step' at third hole.

The Leupold model# 49988 for the FN Mauser base has measurements: The spacing of the front 2 holes is approx 0.850" (center-to-center). The distance from the second hole to the third hole is approx 4.32" (c-t-c)...which is too short length-wise.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could provide. My next step is buying a blank base and drilling, but I know there is a match somewhere.
Dan

Got the new base...doesn't fit...same problem as the Mauser FN base. The front two holes match, but the third hole (rear) is not far enough to the rear.
Guess it's a custom drill/tap job? Off to a 'smith I'll go.
Dan

Why not just add a spacer (blued to match) beneath the rear portion of the perfect-fit base meant for the Rem 700 & use a longer screw there ?

Back