Mauser Sporter

locobass

Inactive
I had my Turkish 8mm mauser sportized, I have it mounted on a rim line stock. Qustion, can a synthetic stock be glass bedded and if so should I get this done.

Why not check how it shoots, as-is? Group size with various brands and bullet weights...If it shoots inside of 1-1/2" with factory ammo, and you're just using it as a hunting rifle, your gain won't be all that useful. If you're trying to have a tack-driver, glass-bedding is something to consider.

All that's required to glass-bed a stock is that the bedding material adhere to the wood or fiberglass...

FWIW, Art

Just my personal thought:
My opinion of factory rifle bedding is so low, that I wouldn't even consider shooting such a rifle before having it bedded by someone I considered competent.
Why???
If it is a real sporting rifle, I want it to shoot excelently with some or all of the premium brands of commercial ammo availible. Experimenting with this expensive ammo can actually cost more than the bedding job itself. When the rifle refuses to shoot well with any of this expensive stuff, the first thing to suspect is the bedding. So then you have to pay for the bedding job and then reshoot all the expensive ammo again. You might just as well have had the job done right at the beginning. As often as not, I suspect you will save money, break even in the long run and have more confidence in the arm.
If someone out there knows how to eliminate bedding as a prime cause of a rifle's lack of accuracy without firing the gun, I would like to know about it.
I suppose if it shoots well (don't know how to quantify this) with cheap ammo, I guess that would give one the confidence to consider the uncorrected bedding as O.K. But if it doesn't shoot well with this stuff, you don't know if it is the rifle or the ammo.
If you reload for the cartridge in question, then you might load up something like Sierra's recommended accuracy loads with Match King bullets as a good and relatively cheap test, but if the cartidge is new for you, you have to buy dies, which only makes sense if you want to shoot this cartidge a whole lot. If you don't reload or don't really want to get involved in reloading, this option is either epensive in the short run or out entirely.
This just my opinion, it is certainly not proven by scientific experiment.
As for synthetic stocks, I don't own a single one, so I don't know if their bedding problems are as bad right out of the box as is common with wood stocks.

Got a double post because the remote access went out while typing the above, I might as well offer some further thought:
The bedding is relatively cheap. If it doesn't shoot well after this, you have bigger and more expensive problems like the barrel and associated work that would make keeping the rifle questionable.
I would consider the old Mauser consistantly shooting 1.5" at 100 yds. excellent and any better phenomenal.

[This message has been edited by Herodotus (edited March 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Herodotus (edited March 11, 2000).]

Locobass. I have installed about 5 Ramline stocks on my rifles. So far I have never had to glass bed any of them. With that said, if you should decide to go ahead abd glass bed, notice that the Ramline stock is mostly hollow. It will take a hell of a lot of glass bedding material to do the job, and will make the rifle very very heavy.
My suggestions would be, try the rifle as is first. If accuracy is not within the prameters you have set, make a dam out of clay and just bed the first three to three and one half inches of the barrel starting from where it joins the receiver. That should work. If not make another dam at the front of the stock to have about one and one half inches of contact. Any more bedding than that will make the rifle too heavy for carrying while hunting. If you need more detail, E-mail me.
Paul B.

Back