Mauser scratching brass

Joe Portale

Hi,

I have a CZ BRNO that I rebarreled to a .283.
The whole project went perfectly the only problem is that the extracted cases are being scratched. I have looked and probed and can not see any burrs, bumps or rises on any of the chamber surfaces. I know what side of the action is doing this, but can't see what is causing this. i am not sure that the scratches are cuased by the cartridge entering the chamber or if it is being dragged against the wall of the mag. I didn't see a need to shorten the mag box and the rounds do feed perfectly. any suggestions? I am truely perplexed.

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

True Gun Control: Weaver or Isosceles.
-Claire wolfe

Joe, paint the areas you think might be causing it with dykem blue. Cycle a fired case through a few times and whatever it's rubbing against will show up. George

thanks for the suggestions. I cycled a couple of rounds through the rifle last night after I posted this. When the spring and follower are out, no scratches.

I will try the dykem blue and see what happens.

thanks,

jp

Joe. This is something you can do with your finger. Feel along the top edge of the feed ramp where the locking lugs turn down into. (I hope that made sense.) I had a Makk X mauser that was doing that same thing, and the top of the feed ramp felt like it had teeth on it. Got the brass coming and going.
Paul B.

Back