mauser rifle question

Joe Portale

Hello all,

It's time for another rifle project. Today I picked up a BRNO VZ24. What the game plan is, I want to rebarrel the action to a varmit caliber, probably .243 Win. My question is, I heard that these rifles are identical or almost identical a Mauser 98 large ring. Is this true?

Second, does anyone know if the reciever will accept the Mauser series III threaded barrel?

Thanks.

------------------
Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona territory

"The unarmed man is a subject, the armed man is a citizen."

I believe, with my limited knowledge of the Mausers, the answer to both of your question is yes. You can find short chambered barrels in most popular calibers for these guns from Midway. These barrels are less expensive than the name brands but from the experience we have had with them, they make good shooters.

Brno VZ24 is definitly a standard large ring Mauser in all respects. The reciever is the same as the standard Obendorf down to .001" supposedly. See "The Mauser Bolt Actions: A Shop Manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen (1991). It is also a very desirable action for customizing.

Joe, I did a similar thing with a GEW receiver. I bought the barrel from Midway. They had a deal at one time for a barrel, Fajen stock, and a low end Tasco scope for a price to good to pass up. I think it was around $110.00 at the time. The barrel is a Adams & Bennett. I also went with the 243 caliber. It turned out to be a nice shooting gun for the money. I gave it to my son for hunting.

Joefo

Back