Mauser questions

dobie

Inactive
On a whim I bought a Czech Mauser 8mm at a local sporting goods store for $69 (on sale from $99). It does come with a warrenty from the store to be in good firing condition. My questions are: Are these good rifles for hunting (Deer)? What kind of shooting range is it good for? Are there any websites that sell accessories for it? Do you think I wasted my money? Thanks for any input.

dobie
The Czech Mauser (Vz24) is a fine rifle that in good condition is capable of good hunting accuracy for deer (2moa) 2inches or better at 100yards.
The 8mm cartridge is quite powerful enough for any deer or even larger thin skinned game with proper shot placement out to 300+ yards, it depends on you. For $69. you can't go wrong. You should shoot it at 50 yards to see how accurate it is, (what condition is the bore in?), if it seems really good, then you have to decide whether or not to sporterize it and put a scope on it. Personally, as a collector of military arms, I don't like that idea. By the time you put in the money and effort to convert a heavy, durable military arm to a sporter, you would be better off buying a used scoped sporter ready to go.
However if the rifle shoots well as is, and you feel confident in hunting with iron sights, then just use it as is. I've shot hundreds of big jackrabbits with my 7mm Mauser with iron sights.
Cheap 8mm ammo is now available at: http://www.tennesseeguns.com/

Hi, Dobie,

Watch out on cheap 8mm ammo, a lot of it is WWII era stuff and very corrosive.

Those Czech Mausers are among the best and if in good shape will give a couple of lifetimes of service. You did well for $69.

Jim

Corrosive ammo was used for hundreds of years (black powder and it's priming compounds are very corrosive). If the barrel (and bolt face) is properly cleaned immediately after use, the rifle will suffer no ill effects.

I've shot corrosive ammo in a variety of rifles, the Mauser you bought most certainly had plenty of it going through it.

Besides a box of 20 commercial 8mm ammo will likely cost you nearly as much as the rifle.

Check the corrosive ammo cleaning thread in the gunsmith forum here.

I shoot corrosive .303 and the rifle is in find shape. I clean it promptly after use.
Corrosive .303 is about 10 cents/shot, non-corrosive is about 20 cents. I shoot that when unsure about ability to clean right away.

Corrosive surplus 8mm is about 10 cents/shot. Commercial ammo, last I checked, was $1.25/shot locally (box of 20 for $24.95)!

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited December 03, 1999).]

Back