Mauser Partone 22

Bernie Link

Picked this up at a gun show last weekend & can't find much info on it. On the left side of the barrel it's stamped "Patrone 22lr, serial # 958xx". The right side is hard to read but I think it's stamped, "D.R.P. D.H.A.M." On the black plastic butt plate it says "Mauser". Can anyone give me more info on it? Thanks, BernieMauser Patrone 22.JPG

Mauser Patrone 22 5.JPG

Vell, it is a prewar Mauser sporter for the .22 LR cartridge/patrone.

The marking is probably DRP DRGM for Deutsche Reichpatent and Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster, meaning it is covered by both a full patent and a lesser design protection document peculiar to Germany.

The scope was most likely added after it was looted by a USGI in the Occupation.

I have the competing Walther .22 bolt action. Good shooters all.

True, it might have been mailordered from Stoegers before the war, but the Occupation forces definitely believed in gun control. Should I have said "confiscated"?

My CAS shotgun is a French made Verney Carron brought back by an Occupation soldier.
I think it likely to have been seized from a Frenchman by a German and from the German by an American.

I got one of these in a trade earlier this month and no one here had much info on it.

I just added a scope to mine and I hope to get out shooting it pretty soon if the rain ever stops...

Tony

"Confiscated" would be the correct term. Done under the authority of the "legal govt" at the time (US occupation forces).

"Looting" was a crime...:rolleyes:

Firearms were ordered turned in and quite a few sporting arms were surrendered by the Germans as well as arms of military use.

I would love to get a military model one (looks like a K98k) that was used for training. Those things get pricey though. Like my father said, "Champagne taste on a beer budget."

I did some looking around when I first got mine and if auction listings mean anything. The asking prices for these are between $850 and $1200. I'm willing to bet those prices are inflated by around 30% over the real world value...

I've heard all sorts of stories about guns being surrendered at the end of WWII but they're all anecdotal and likely only carry a grain of truth...

Tony

I don't know how forthcoming they are with sharing knowledge, but those folks at Simpson's LTD seem to have gotten into the .22 Trainer scene.
https://simpsonltd.com/german-22-trainers/
It kind of seems that the ones that ended up at Simpson's all have a fair bit of gold or other precious metals in them according to their pricing. Too rich for my blood.

Back