Mauser Mod.71 Cavalry rifle

turn2

Inactive
I own one (may sell it eventually) It is not an IG model 71, but it has many markings outside of the obvious. Are there any web resources for identifying the markings/letters/symbols on the gun?

Attachments

• mod71-overall.jpg
    mod71-overall.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 283
"...many markings..." Post 'em or take pictures of 'em and post them. The knowledge here about very obscure stuff is astounding.

pix of mauser for ID

Here are the symbols, other than the matchng numbers everywhere else

Attachments

• 71pic1.jpg
    71pic1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 262
  • 71pic2.jpg
    71pic2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 236
  • 71pic3.jpg
    71pic3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 203
symbols pix 2

more pix

Attachments

• 71pic4.jpg
    71pic4.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 71pic5.jpg
    71pic5.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 71pic6.jpg
    71pic6.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 169
71pic1.jpg is an inspector's mark. The number is the serial number.
71pic2.jpg is the regimental unit marking. I do not speak German, so I won't try to guess.
71pic3.jpg has a bunch of proofmarks and an acceptance mark. A closer picture of each might help ID them better.
71pic4.jpg is the model markings with the acceptance mark.
71pic5.jpg are the receiver proofmarks showing it was heat treated.
71pic6.jpg is the imperial eagle over the manufacturer's logo and location.

There was a book I read years ago called Rifles of the Armies of the German Empire, IIRC. It showed many of the markngs and their meanings.

Very nice Model 71.

cleaning?

I have not seen that book available, yet. I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the info
It obviously is dirty, but I have kept a corrosion blocker on it as long as I have owned it. I would like to know if it would be worthwhile to locate a professional that could restore it the right way(to enhance the value?). Any thoughts on where to look?

It can be restored, but it will likley decrease the value rather than increase it.

If it were mine, I would disassemble it, scrub all the metal parts with solvent then coat with Tetra Gun oil. It's a synthetic oil that coats the metal and does not varnish up.

The stock can be cleaned with Scott's Liquid Gold. Soak a rag with it and scrub it pretty well to remove the grey/black crud. Two cleanings should take care of it. If it needs more, just wipe it down once a week with a rag soaked in Liquid Gold. Don't store the rag after you're done, throw it away.

If you are tired of the rifle and looking to sell it, send me an e-mail.

thanks

thanks for the info. selling may be in its future. I would like to find out a little more about it and clean it like you said.

Regimental Markings

I'll take a stab at the Regimentals. Reading from right to left.

Rifle number 57

Belonging to the Second Company

Of the Second

Bavarian Infantry Munitions Column

Some of the Regimentals used during the 19th Century, are so obscure and convoluted they are very difficult to interpret.

During the Franco-Prussian War era when this carbine went into service. Much of the war material needed by a army was carried in large wagon trains pulled by draft animals. This necessitated large military units to provide the manpower to guard these very high value supply trains.

Back