mauser m98/k98???

coastie_2004

Inactive
I just recently acquired a Mauser rifle. I'm unsure if it is a M98 or K98. Is there a website I can lookup the serial number or is there someone here that can lookup the serial number? I am interested in the history of this particular rifle and the monetary value of it. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

well a m98 is virtually a k98, except its had its german markings wiped off by the yugoslavians.

i bet you are really wanting to know the difference between the m48 and the k98.

the serial numbers won't tell much, what we can do is use whatever proofmarks are on the reciever. would be a great help if you could post a pic of the rifle as well.

if you have no digital camera, google 'mauser k98' and 'mauser m48a' and post the pics that look closest to your rifle, though you'll see right there which one you have.

or who knows? maybe you got something really unique, and its neither the k98 or m48?

Thats what is weird. It looks more like the k98, but the markings are those of the m98. So its really confusing. I have the serial numbers and everything, which is a reason i wanted to look it up.

does it have 'm98' or 'mod 98' on the reciever? there may also be something else etched on there. mine has s/42g, indicating its origin to be early on in WWII.

it has mod 98, but it looks like that is newer then the other markings. it also says PREDUZECE 44 and just above that is a symbol that looks like a 6 but instead of a curved top it is straight. On the top of the reciever, it has another roundish symbol that I can't really make out. Then on the bolt side of the reciever, is the serial number 98044. On the magazine the numbers 8044 are etched as well as in the wood stock towards the butt in BIG numbers. The bolt contains the numbers J11648. Upon disassembling it (which was surprisingly easy) and inspecting it, there were other numbers and symbols on the underside of the reciever area. From pictures I have seen, it is missing a steel rod that slides in towards the front of the stock as well as the sling. Built into the butt are these round metal circle things that I have no idea what they are intended for. Thats about as well as I can describe it.

As for a picture of it, it says I can't because it is too big. Any idea on how to make teh file size smaller?

well in microsoft paint program you can shrink it.

you have a m98, a k98 that was captured and wiped of at least some of its markings by the yugoslavians.

did the person you acquired it from give any indication if it was a shooter? if not, you need to have a gunsmith give it a once over, make sure its safe to shoot.

Yes he says it shoots great. From 300 yards out, he hit a 2 foot round gong with open sights. Is there a way to find out the date of production for this gun?

If it says "Mod 98" on the left side of the receiver, it is/was a German K.98k (Karabiner 98 kurz), the standard German service rifle of WWII. There should be no wood between the rear of the rear sight and the receiver.

The rifle was rebuilt and refinished at the Zastava factory at Kragujevac in what was then Yugoslavia (now Serbia and Montenegro). The factory was known as "Factory 44" during the Communist era, and was also the plant that built the Yugo automobile and the Model 48 rifle, a modified Mauser 98 with a short receiver.

The Yugoslavs removed the original maker's mark, and removed or defaced all swastika markings. Most were "forced matched" with parts renumbered with a stamp or electric pencil after reassembly.

If the rifle is in good condition, it should be a good shooter; it has a moderate collector value, but nowhere near the value of an original and matching K.98k that has not been reworked.

Jim

Back