Mauser M2

Yes, I saw and held one at the shop. It's a sweet little gun but I can't rave about it due to the fact, I never shot one. Nor do I know anybody personally that shot one. However, the ergonomics is excellent and overall fit and finish looked outstanding. However, I'm not sold on the location of the safety.

Hey ArmySon, I saw one at a local shop also. No shootin' experience yet either. It was in .40 and I also thought it was a pretty nice fit in the hand. The safety and its location are ignorant. But I've heard that it is an option. So just order it without it and you'll be alot better off.

Held one this afternoon. A .45acp model. Great balance. Felt good in my hand. I asked the guy at the shop if he knew how it fired and he said it was a sweet piece. Only complaint I had was the grip length. 1/4" more and it would be perfect, (but then, I have very big hands). Even so, I'm thinking of getting a new "toy" with my Tax Return. Will this be it? We'll see.

Original Mauser Engineering-- is now Austrian and German Engineering,
Examples....Glock..HK..SIG..Walther......
It seem that the teutonic persons know how to make a
firearm (and an automobile)--et al.......
The current pistole M2 under the Mauser name I think
is alot of bovine feces...
In my opinon only, this pistol is an insult to the
Mauser name..
Dakodakid out--------------->

The rotary barrel lockup is similar to experimental Mauser pistols of the WW1 era and adopted by the Czechs in the CZ-22 and CZ-24. The lockup has been used in the Steyer 1912 and a current Beretta. The Mauser trade mark is owned by Sig-Sauer and as far as I know there is no separate Mauser factory.

I saw the M2 at a gun show several months ago and was favorably impressed by its looks and ergonomics. I decided not to buy it after I did a little research. This is a quote from an article on the M2 in the May 2001 issue of Combat Handguns:

"I did [the author] contact Mauser/Sig and asked them about categorizing the M2 as a non-law-enforcement gun, and what did that mean? The answer was that the M2 is not designed to be shot as much as would be a gun issued to a lawman, who might well put over 20,000 rounds through it."

It seems to me that the lower price for the M2 is related to its long-term durability. Not my cup-of-tea.

I've shot the M-2 and it shoots like crap.

The guns fit is loose and sloppy with a nasty trigger pull.

It isn't rated for +P ammo, and it isn't designed to withstand any type of abuse much less long term use.

The gun is NOT INTENDED FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT USE.

I guess SIG Arms didn't want to tarnish their good name by stamping SIG-Saur on the gun, instead, they name it "Mauser"..

This fall Steyr is coming out with a couple of .45's that will no doubt, stomp the Mauser M-2 in regards to ruggedness, reliablity and accuracy.

I'd avoid the M-2 like the plague if I were you.

Thanks hksigwalther - good write up. Looks like you need to lengthen your name now! ;)
This M2 appears to be a good option for those in want of a Non-Single Action .45 for carry, but do not want the SIG P245 or Glock model something or other. The price seems to be about right - maybe even a tad low for a name as august as Mauser. I am disappointed by the "Not designed to shoot as much"... What the hell is that? From Mauser? Isnt Mauser German for "Shoot a whole hell of a lot!"?
Still, I look forward to getting my hands on one and trying it.

I like the looks of that gun. fwiw: one of the major gun-rags did a big write-up on the .45 version of the M-2. It recieved ok reviews. I would have tried the other calibers though.

Ben

Back