Mauser M12 Pure

gaseousclay

xd47Sx1.jpg

Ok, this is my dream bolt-action rifle, so i'm curious if anyone here owns one? This is definitely on the high-end that i'd have to sell a kidney to afford, but it sure is pretty. I'm assuming this has a control round feed.

I don't own one, but I have worked on one. Not a lot of these beasts out there, pretty rare in my area anyway.
I'm assuming this has a control round feed
No, the M12 is a push feed action.

BTW, the one pictured is the Pure model with wood stock, they also make an Expert model as well (wood stocked with forend cap). They also offer a number of synthetic stocks as well.

No, the M12 is a push feed action.

Interesting. I incorrectly assumed that most high-end rifle makers had control round feed. Is CRF a thing of the past? I don't even know which companies use CRF these days

CRF involves more machining steps, therefore it is "bad" in terms of manufacturing efficiency (think Model 70 pre-64 and post-64). That said, it is "good" in terms of selling rifles to people who want CRF rifles, and it is "good" in that CRF rifles have a record of being super-reliable. But once the buying public accepted push-feed rifles, CRF was doomed from a cost perspective.

The other cost-saving feature introduced in the 1960s was the "fat bolt" feature, where the locking lugs are machined into a large bar rather than being forged onto a smaller diameter bolt (think Mauser 98/Win M70/Rem 700 vs Weatherby Mark V). The M12 you are looking at is a "fat bolt" rifle. Nowadays, "fat bolts" lock into barrel extensions rather than locking into the action itself.

Kimber, Winchester, and Ruger (probably others I can't think of as well) offer rifles in both CRF and push feed configurations. You can also find older CZ and Zastava rifles in CRF configuration.

Back