Mauser M-98 in 7.62x39mm?

ED CHAVEZ

Is the Mauser 1898 rechambered in 7.62x39mm any good? Please give feedback on it. Several of my gunshops tell me I could never pass on a Mauser, even if it all rusted the rifle could be restored. But I need for several people who have actually purchase one tell me its good/negatives on the rifle. Thanks. .].
~

As always, "Whaddaya gonna use it fer?" is my opening question.

To me, the cartridge is neither fish nor fowl. Its inherent design is unsuited to varmint hunting; it's too "pipsqueaky" for serious hunting. It would of course function well as a coyote-getter for a rancher's truck-gun...

For turning money into noise, plinking for practice, it's great. Ammo is cheap.

Now, a Mauser 98 action, pre-1943, is a fine base for a slick custom rifle. So, how much are you willing to pay for the bare action?

FWIW, Art

This cartidge is very much shorter than any cartidge a standard Mauser 98 was designed to handle. Before I invested any money in having one made up, I would want to know that I was dealing with a gunsmith that was capable of reworking the action for perfect feed and extraction. The whole point of the Mauser claw extractor is to get infalible feeding under almost any condition, and a Mauser that fails to do this is a pretty sorry thing, in my opinion.
I would suspect this type of problem putting this cartidge in this action, but don't know for sure.
I also agree on Art's assessment of this cartidge, neither fish nor fowl.
If you do get one of these made, I would like to know how it turns out.

I built one up on a Remington . A bench rest rifle that was a single shot so I wasn't concerned about feed.
The first 5 shot group while fire forming cases was .087 with the next 4 groups all less than .150. After that I ran a 308 reamer in it and made a rifle to train our test shooters. The secret to my success was a 1 in 16 twist barrel. It is a most accurate cartridge if you can find quality cases. My reason for tearing the one I made down was the cases I could find at the time were terrible. It is a good plinker with 110 gr. bullets as it can be loaded cheaper than any other 30

Well to answer Art, I will have this rifle for plinking. But more of a "I have a Mauser in 7.62x39mm in my gun collection" type of gun. And I am also interested in buying the re-chambered Mauser, because I never owned bolt-action 7.62x39mm in my life. And my gun shop has two of these rifle that she bought off a gun distributor company. She is selling them for $150ea. out-the-door or both for $250 OTD that is not alot for a rifle+statetax+fee. And even if they do not work I'll have them as collectables. But she tells me they do work(I trust her I have know her for more than 22-years). Anyways I will try them out in 10-days after all the background crud and stuff. And I will report back to you. Later. :)

For $150, you can hardly go wrong. I thought you were going to make one up yourself. Try and find out if these were madeup by a private individual, a company or a government. They sound interesting.

Back