Mauser HsC - WWII pick up, value?

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Hi All,

A neighbor who's grandfather died recently dropped off a Mauser HsC in .32 ACP. The gun was his by wish of his grandfather and I was asked to clean it up. Apparently the Grandfather had Plexiglass grips added and actually jumped with this gun as his "hideout" in WWII. (82nd Abn)

Couple of questions - how does it come apart for cleaning? Approximate value? The neighbor is interested in selling it and he (and I - keep it quiet!) need a good idea of the price. The S/N is 934xxx and there are no Nazi or German proof marks that I can see. Finish is a bit rough, but clean. The gun also comes with two magazines and a flap holster. The holster is black leather and also has no markings.

TIA,

Giz

Gizmo99:
It sounds like you have the transition model. Does it have and Eagle N proof mark?

If So the VALUE EXC=$400.00 POOR=$100.00 Most of these go for about the same price, except the low grip screw model, which was a highly polised blue finish, will draw around $1,000.00=EXC and $650.00=Poor.

HJN

After looking at the pistol in better light, it has the proof mark on the right side, on the base of the trigger guard, next to the grip.

The Nazi stamp is mirrored on the left side.

The pistol has two magazines and a black leather flap holster marked jhg (next line) 44.

The interior of the pistol and magazines had a lot of a yellow colored grease. The bore is pristine and the safety still has the white/red for S/F.

The only modification was the replacement of the wood grips with plexiglas grips.

Giz

To disassemble the HSc:

1. Remove magazine, and make sure it is empty.
2. Retract slide and make sure chamber is empty; the slide will stay back.
3. Insert the empty magazine; the slide will run forward.
4. With the hammer (still) cocked, move the safety to the down (ON) position.
5. Hold the slide and with the thumbnail, push the little catch inside the trigger guard down. The slide will unlock.
6. Remove the magazine and push the slide forward while pulling up. The slide will come off the frame.

The barrel can be removed by turning the slide over, pushing the barrel forward and lifting it up at the back until it clears the slide, then it will come out to the rear. (I love this part!!!) Reassemble in reverse order.

Believe me on this: DON'T disassemble the pistol further. It is a nightmare to reassemble. DON'T attempt to remove the firing pin; it looks easy, but isn't.

I think replacement grips are available from Gun Parts Corp. (www.gunpartscorp.com) that would look better than the plexiglas ones if you want.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I got it apart and cleaned. Sadly, his grandfather passed away a couple of weeks ago. I would have enjoyed talking to the fellow, guess that's another chapter of history gone and unrecorded.

The holster and pistol were virtually new. The only wear I could detect was on the leather strap of the holster.

I strongly encouraged my neighbor to hold on to the pistol. Hope he does so.

Giz

Back