Mauser For Garand, Trade ADVISE ONLY

wdodge01

Inactive
Hello, I'm new here, looking for some advice.

I have a Spanish Mauser, the 8mm M1944, what I've been told is worth about $500.

I am looking at trading it here locally, and I have been offered a M1 Garand for the mauser and $200.

The guy knows what he has, so I don't see why he wants to trade for a lot less, Garands around here are about $1500

I'd like to trade, but just seems fishy.

Any Advice?

Sounds to good to be true...Spanish Mauser for a Garand ???
Will he allow you to take the Garand for a test ride ?
Is this a local sale/trade ?
Be cautious.

Get the make and serial number of the garand, I'd check it over good and if it looks good jump on it. Shooting it is a good idea.

Way more to an M1 Rifle's value than its local price. Have you seen it?
Lot of different 1944 Spanish Mausers too. None appear to be worth $500 though.

Can't speak to the specific rifles,but when I had the chance to swap with a Mauser owner for a few rounds, I was amazed at how much the M1's sights make it easier to shoot well than the Mauser. Just beware: anyone asking to try the M1 will want to shoot to the "ping!"

There are many things that would make that M1 worth less than the Mauser and $200, but ordinarily that trade would be a no-brainer. Is there anyone around who knows the M1 rifle and can check for obvious problems, like muzzle wear, missing parts, a cut-and-weld receiver, etc.?

Jim

You can get a CMP M1 for under $800..... Don't use $1,500 as your benchmark for trade value.

I would certainly be skeptical of this trade offer and suspect that the M1 is in bad shape at best. Worse case, total junk. If it looks good, have it checked by someone who knows them.

Back