mauser dissection

JHunt

Inactive
I have a '42 czech 8mm that is no longer safe to fire. I need to know how to disable the firing action but keep the rest of the rifle intact to preserve the look it has. I dont know what made it the way it is but when I took it to the smith, he checked the headspace (whatever that is) and brought out this piece that looked like it was from the inside of the bolt and it had masking tape on the end of it. Now I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm pretty sure that masking tape is not a regular article in the making of a firearm. The reason I took the gun to the smith is that the safety did not work. I talked to someone on a chat and they told me that was very wrong and it was unsafe. So I gotta file down the end of the pin then? That isn't something I wanted to see myself doing but I guess If it will not look right with the pin removed then that is my only option. Thank you all for your responses on this matter, you have been quite helpful. Anybody have a newer 8mm that is safe? I got a lot of ammo I need to get rid of.

[Edited by JHunt on 11-24-2000 at 10:45 AM]

I guess you could saw or file off the tip of the firing pin. The the rifle would function normally (?) but be unable to fire off a round.

Hi, JHunt,

This may be none of my business, but whatever could make a Czech 1942 rifle unsafe to fire, except maybe being burned in a fire?

Jim

Why don't you just remove the firing pin. So when the time comes around when the rile can be fixed, and all rifles can be fixed it just depends on how much you want to spend, you can pop the pin back in.

just a thought.

I gather that JHunt wants the rifle to look functional for a collection. You can't remove the firing pin and keep the bolt looking right.

Jim

Perhaps directions on how to disassemble the Mauser Bolt would be in order. Yes, I agree that the tip should be ground off to make the gun functional but not firing. If you remove the firing pin, you end up with a gun that will not function correctly. You cannot dry fire it and the bolt will not assemble correctly.

I, too, am curious what can cause the CZ 24 to become unsafe to fire!

Back