mauser 'commision' 1888

buckhorn

I've heard a bunch of stuff about which ammo to use in this gun. It has the old .317 I can't remember if that means it's An 's' or a 'J', I used to just buy fatory 8mm[ which was mid-way between s and j. But now I understand all 8mm is .323. They [ammo manufactors] made their 8mm to safley fire in both the S and J version years ago, but the last time I bought some 8MM, I had a hard time openning the bolt. Classic example of too high pressures. But before that, the gun handled any COMMERCIAL 8MM I put in it. I have to say I only shoot the gun on rare occasions and the last 2 boxes of ammo were at least 15 years old. They were Remington 8MM. The new box is also Remington. Am I done with this gun?

I am not sure any .318" bullets are available, though you might be able to get away with using .323" bullets in a light load, as the U.S. ammo makers did. But there may be another answer. The Germans converted a lot of those rifles to shoot the new 7.9 (or 8x57JS in civilian terminology). They did not rebore or re-rifle the barrels.

What they did was simply to run in a new chambering reamer. That expanded the chamber throat and gave the new round a place for the larger neck to expand. If the case neck can't expand (and it can't with a .323" bullet in the old chamber), pressures go very high very quickly and trouble can result. Firing bullets a mere .005" larger in diameter won't cause problems; a case neck that can't expand will.

Jim

A quick check of Midway shows that Woodleigh makes some .318 bullets, so reloading is an option. Not cheap, but for as much as it sounds like this gun gets shot, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I wouldn't ream the chamber of an original 88.

Back