MAUSER BOLT SHOTGUN

pepemarine

I FOUND A VERY OLD MAUSER 16 GA. BOLT SHOTGUN THAT HAS ALL THE MARKINGS AND PROOFING STAMPS AND ITS IN 75% COND. THE SERIAL NUMBER IS NOT THE SAME AS IN THE BOLT,STOCK,TRIGGER,SAFETY SO I THINK IT WAS MADE OF MANY OTHER SHOTGUNS, BARREL IS 30 INCHES

BARREL MARKINGS INCLUDE WAFFENFABRIK OBENDORFF ?? 16-70 AND MANY OTHER STAMPS.

THIS SHOTGUN DOESNOT HAVE A BLIND MAGAZINE, ITS A SINGLE SHOT. IT ALSO HAS A CARBINE TYPE STOCK.

HOW OLD IS IT?

pepemarine:
After WWII the Germans were not allowed, under the peace treaty, to make rifles, however, could make shotguns. They converted Mauser 1898 rifles into bolt action shotguns. Most were two or three shot specimens.

I personally own one, two shot, and have it configured for deer hunting here in the south.. Makes an excelant slug-gun, never tried to shoot birds etc, with it.

I don't know the value, nor is it listed in any of my reference material. I bought mine at a gunshow for $50.00, had it blued and a 4X scope mounted.

HJN

MAUSER SINGLE SHOT SHOTGUN

HARRY MY SHOTGUN IS NOT A COVERSION FROM A 98 AND BELIEVE ME HERE IN OLD MEXICO I´VE SEEN MANY MAUSER CONVERSIONS EVEN THE 7MM CONVERTED TO .410 AND TO .45 COLT AND MANY MORE, BUT I HAVENT SEEN ONE OF THESE.

IT HAS NUMBER WHICH I BELIEVE TO BE A DATE A 1884 ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE RECEIVER.

THANKS

Pepe,

The 1884 date is a pretty good indication that your gun actually is a conversion, in this case made by using an 1871 Mauser single-shot rifle action.

Many many thousands of these shotguns were made, virtually all across Europe, to supply demand not in the home country, but in the Colonies for both the settlers as well as the natives.

The British variations were collectively known as "Zulu Guns," as one of the primary trading targets was the Zulu nation.

American Rifleman magazine, about 8 years ago, had an article on these guns.

Back