mauser bolt problem

Joe Portale

First let me say that I feel like one of the biggest dorks for this one.

I was getting ready to disassemble a bolt from a Mauser K98 CZ BRNO rifle. I pushed that little spring loaded catch that lies under the safety lever. Something slipped and the mechanism released. Now the firing pin is sticking out of the hole, the entire back of the bolt dropped along the angled raceway and seems to be in a neutral position. Like I said, the firing pin is sticking out of the hole, but it is free and can be pushed back with a piece of wood or pad of my thumb. Because the bolt sleeve and the cocking piece are now in the wrong position I can't simply re-install the bolt to work the action. I have torn up my fingers trying to get the back end of this thing to rotate back where it belongs. I have worked on several other Mausers and this is the first time this has happened. Besides nominating me for the dumb-ass of the week, can someone give me any ideas?

Thanks,

zJoe

Well, after all I picked the darn thing up, gave it a twist and it popped right back in place. There is something to be said for walkng away for a few minutes when fustrated.
Ya'll can still nominate me for the dummy award. ;)

Thanks anyway.

All you did was to drop the firing pin into the position it would be in if the bolt were in the gun and the trigger pulled. As you found, all you have to do is "cock" the striker by hand.

However, there is supposed to be a little notch at the edge of the cocking cam that the sear nose rests in when the bolt is cocked out of the gun. That notch may be worn down and letting the firing pin drop too easily. Maybe it would be a good idea to run it by a gunsmith if it bother you.

Jim

Hi guys,

I'm answering as my alter ego. I appreciate the help, but I do have the drawings. This "problem" can be chalked up to me having a brain cramp. Appreciate the offers very much.

Joe Portale

Back