Mauser Bolt Help!

Mosin-Marauder

I did a big stupid today. Was disassembling my Mauser bolt and did it wrong, so I tried to recock the bolt and when I did the sear flew off and not the rifle is in the fired position without the cocking sear? How do I recock it and get the knob back on?

Picture:

Please help!

Turn the safety so it is hanging down (centered), then pull the firing pin back out as far as it will go. Hold in the bolt sleeve lock and unscrew the bolt sleeve. The firing pin will come out, and you can start over.

Jim

Someone pullet the cocking piece back and then rotated it. The safety should have been used to hold the firing pin back. The assemble will not rotate unless the firing pin is pulled back.

So, what to do? grab ahold of what is sticking out and rotate while holding the bolt, and do not forget to pull to disengage the firing pin.

The last time I saw something like this was on a socially dysfunctional forum. Some of the members were very rude to the smith working on it. He was a class 3 smith in Pennsylvania. I contacted him off the forum then called him. He sent me the bolt, I fixed it and sent it back.

F. Guffey

Unscrew the bolt sleeve from the bolt. You know how to do that, right?
Using the small hole you have drilled in your work bench(you do have a firing pin sized hole drilled in the front of your workbench, don't you?)push the front of the firing pin into hole and holding the bolt sleeve, push bolt sleeve forward to allow the cocking piece to be re-installed.

I definitely wouldn't recommend "pulling" the firing pin back.

I definitely wouldn't recommend "pulling" the firing pin back.

I have been around a number of people that did not have a good grip on understand the function of the Mauser bolt. And that is OK. To remove the firing pin/cocking assemble the firing pin must be rotated, to rotate the firing pin MUST! be retracted/ pulled out.

The firing pin is jammed forward between the front of the bolt and bolt sleeve, again, pulling the firing pin to the rear allows everything to be removed by turning counter clockwise.

Again, I remember the last time this problem came up, I will tell you it is a good thing I am not sensitive.

F. Guffey

the firing pin MUST! be retracted/ pulled out.

the first opportunity to pull the firing pin back was when the cock on open was activated, after that the safety could have been used to hold the firing pin back, both of those opportunities were defeated. And then someone pulled the cocking piece back with pliers or a vise and then rotated slightly.

F. Guffey

"I have been around a number of people that did not have a good grip on understand the function of the Mauser bolt. And that is OK. To remove the firing pin/cocking assemble the firing pin must be rotated, to rotate the firing pin MUST! be retracted/ pulled out."

I beg your pardon but I DO have a good understanding of the Mauser bolt and it's components. Looks like I failed to finish my comments. The FP should not be "pulled back" by grabbing with pliers unless padded and then only enough to rotate the bolt sleeve. The reason is that Mausers have a safety feature that only allows the FP to go fully forward when the bolt is locked. When the cocking piece is improperly removed, the firing pin falls into the notch within the bolt preventing further rotation.

Not trying to create an argument. Yes, the firing pin must be "retracted to allow the bolt sleeve to rotate. I didn't make my comment clear. What I was intending was a cautionary about dinging up the back end of the firing pin with tools causing difficulty in replacing the cocking piece.
I went as far as to pull a stripped bolt and related parts out of my parts box to refresh my memory and to visualize what was being suggested for correcting the problem.

FWIW, those shoulders in the bolt and the corresponding lugs on the firing pin are not to prevent the rifle from firing if the bolt is not locked in the normal case; the cocking cam takes care of that. That internal bolt block is designed to prevent the rifle from firing if the bolt is fully locked but the firing pin breaks at the cocking piece, allowing the firing pin to go forward without the trigger being pulled. Just another of the details that makes the Model 98 Mauser different from, and better than, the earlier Mausers and from the U.S. Model 1903.

Jim

That internal bolt block is designed to prevent the rifle from firing if the bolt is fully locked but the firing pin breaks at the cocking piece, allowing the firing pin to go forward without the trigger being pulled.

Breaks? I am sure you are correct but the cocking piece has been removed. And then if there is a break and the firing pin is aligned in the front the pin will hit the primer. There is something about the firing pin in the Mauser most do not know about.

F. Guffey

Sorry, my error. The internal safety shoulders are intended to keep the rifle from firing with the bolt unlocked if the firing pin breaks. Ordinarily, the cocking cam prevents the cocking piece and firing pin from going forward if the bolt is not fully locked. But the flaw in the design is that if the firing pin breaks, the cocking piece cannot stop the firing pin from moving forward and firing a round being held by the extractor.

Olson (Page 96) says, "Safety firing pin ... has lugs that align with shoulders in the bolt when the action is unlocked. According to German patents, this feature prevents firing if firing pin should break when the bolt is open."

Jim

Last edited:
Back