Mauser afficianados ?

Targa

I am looking at a M48 from Southern Ohio Gun Co. and am looking for opinions on rather to go with an "a" or "bo" model. Doesnt seem to be much difference in the rifles other than the years they were made and the crest. I see they have some stamped parts vs. a m48 but that is by no means a deal breaker. I appreciate any thoughts.

Not a Mauser type, but they made rifles for everybody and all his relatives. Only difference between 'em is the year of manufacture and the crest. And sometimes the chambering.
The 'bo' means unmarked. Exactly the same as a crested M48B rifle otherwise.
The Yugoslavs made stuff that was and usually is considered better than stuff made in Germany. So either one will do nicely. And you get to buy on price alone.

Just getting it to shoot, I'd get the cheapest one. If you ever plan to re-sell it, having an intact crest will attract more buyers.

Beware, of SOGs sometimes extravagant shipping costs. I'd see if I could find out what they plan to charge you to ship it before you buy if possible.

BO means "without markings". The M48 had milled bottom metal, M48A had stamped sheet metal bottom metal. Either will shoot well, M48s are a little better workmanship, but that's splitting hairs.

The other thing about SOG is (unless they have changed it recently) the displayed price is with "Cash Discount". If you order with a credit card it is a little (I want to say 3%) higher.

Yeh I saw that, I am not to impressed with the extra charges especially shipping but they still seem to be coming in under other on line sites after the charges. I just need to see if my local FFL dealer will order it for me since this is a wholesale site and you need either an FFL or C&R license to order from them.
There are other C&R firearms that I am interested in. I am tempted to turn in a C&R application to BATF and just have it shipped directly to me once that is accepted.

If your dealer charges more than $30, then get a C&R FFL.

This is assuming you are not in a state that doesn't allow it (CA, NJ, maybe others).

That's what I am contemplating. They charge $15 but I like the idea of being able to use the C&R on at least two more purchases, a K31 Swiss, Finn Mosin and maybe a Enfield or Arisaka.

Last edited:
Thanks Ernest T, yeh I saw that and think I will go with Aim's. Price is going to be a wash I think but I appreciate the straight price and free shipping that Aim's is offering vs. SOG's $10 for handpick, $25 for numbers matching, 3% credit card fee and oh, we will surpise you with your shipping charges once you place your order lol.
I just sent in my C&R application as well.

A note of caution on the Yugo M48. The receiver is NOT a standard Mauser (K98) receiver. Those M48's and M24's were built on an earlier Mauser design that was bought by FN of Belgium in the 1920's. The receivers are shorter than the standard G.98/K.98k (the German service rifles in WWI and WWII) and take special stocks, floor plates, followers, bolts, etc. They are good guns, but the differences need to be noted if one wants to do any "sporterizing" involving parts interchangeability.

Jim

I bought a 24/47 in 2004 for $110.
I have not shot it yet.
I did pull the barrel, drill, and tap.
There is an unusual [for a Mauser] extractor relief cut.

Attachments

• 24 47 Mauser breech face 11-19-2013.jpg
    24 47 Mauser breech face 11-19-2013.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 12
Back