Mauser advice

TwoHands

Inactive
I would like to customize a Mauser for hunting and informal target shooting in 30-06. Is there info on ideas for these projects on the web? I would have the chambering done but want to do the basic mod's (like beveling the mag follower and removing the stripper guide) myself. I have a large ring stock that I have always liked and I'm sufing brownells for bolt shrouds and conversion parts.

Where is a good source for a 98K or action to start with?
I have seen Isreali 98k's for under $200 but all I need is an action. Can a nice action be had for $100?

Thanks. J

Turkish Mausers

I got my Turkish Mauser 98 (at least it cocks on opening, and has the 3rd "safety" lug) for $40. There's no lack of 'em around. Check the Shotgun News or Gun List.

Hi, TwoHands,

Converting a '98 Mauser in 8mm to .30 involves a new barrel, not just rechambering (the 8mm bore is too big for the .30 bullet). If the rifle has a good barrel, you might just stick with 8mm, which is actually as good as or better than the .30-'06 anyway if handloaded.

Conversion will involve at least rebarreling, chambering, and lengthening the magazine well. You will probably also want to turn down the bolt, alter the safety to work with a scope, drill and tap, and maybe install open sights as well. Polishing and bluing are also usually wanted. Stock work is rather open ended, with many options for fit and finish.

I suggest you think the project through with a calculator in hand. Even if you can do some of the work yourself, you might find that a final product that will look good and be the equivalent of a modern American sporter will cost almost as much as the sporter.

Jim

Back