Mauser actions and caliber possibilities

Doctari

Howdy all you smiths!!

I picked up a part of a custom rifle project recently at a local gun store. There was a barreled action from a K98 mauser. New Timney trigger installed, as well as follower and springs.

I believe it has the original barrel on it still. Nazi proofs remain. The barrel has a stepped down contour, not smooth. Also it is in the original 8x57 Mauser. I am not super happy with that and was considering rebarreling the action.

The question now is should I rechamber it as well when I rebarrel. What caliber limitations do I face when rebarrelling? The case head diameter for the bolt? Action length? I don't assume I could just rechamber the barrel on it to 8mm Remington Mag.

Also, what are the pressure considerations for the reciever? Most of the newer cartriges operate somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-52k cup. Where as I know the 7x57 was about 42,000. I do not know what the 8x57 produces for pressure. Is the 98k action produced in 1943 strong enough for 300 Win Mag? 260 Remington? etc. etc. You get the idea....

Anyone have thoughts on this? Anyone have sources to point me too for research?

Thanks Doctari

PS I already have new bolt actions in 30-06 so I wasn't really leaning toward that. 8mm-06 might be a thought, I reload a lot so If I could get dies.....

Daktari, with a standard 98 action there is almost no limit. Just pick the cartridge you want to use. With belted magnums you will need to alter the bolt face and with some cartridges work on the feed rails will be needed as well. Some will also require work on the mag box. Anything in the 30-06 family will work with no alterations. Some of the more popular calibers that I get requests for a 6mm Rem., 25-06, .270 Win., 7mm Mag, .308 Win, 30-06, .35 Whelen, 7mm-08, .300 Mag, .338 Mag and I have a personal project in the wings in .416 Taylor. If you have the money to have it done or the time, equipment and expertise to do it yourself there is almost no limit to the what can be done with the 98 action. You could rechamber to 8mm mag but the bolt face would have to be opened up as well and alterations to the rails and mag box would be required also. But remember that if you do use the present barrel your accuracy will probably be no better with the new caliber than it is now. George

In the FWIW department: 1943 was the last year of reliable 98s, from what various folks have said over the years. You oughta be in good shape for whatever you want to do.

After WW II, into the 1950s, my uncle built so many sporters on 98s, he almost made a picket fence out of the barrels! I'm still mad about his trading off a Gebby-barrelled Varminter (now, .22-250) he built on a 98 action.

Have fun, Art

George & the other guys are right on. However, it bears mentioning that some folks have ruined actions by "throating the feed ramp for feeding the new round." :( They actually cut away part of the receiver abuttment for the bottom locking lug. I just saw a Type 38 Jap the other day that had been done that way. I may be preaching to the choir & if so, forgive me. No offense intended. Just don't want to see you mess up. Like George said, open the receiver rails for feeding, if needed. :)

If your 98 shoots good with the 8mm barrel you may want to rechamber it for 8mm-06. This is a fine wildcat that will give you balistics somewhere between the 30-06 and the 35 whelen. It only requires a few turns with a 8mm-06 finish reamer and the job is done.

Aerod, one of the earliest rebarreling jobs I did was rebarreling a 98 Mauser to that caliber. And I've done and seen several since but not in the past few years. George

Back