Mauser action

Hi George
That sounds like a great buy on the Turk Mausers.What is your opinion of the quality? I have used a few Czech actions how do the Turks compare?

------------------
Fear a government that fears your guns

This is the first time I've been on this web site guys. Just found it when I was doing a search in yahoo. I'm glad I did. Anyway, in answer to your question. I just a few minutes ago noticed an ad on pge.177, gunlist, Jan.7,2000 issue. Federal Arms Corporation of America Has pre-1898 ludwig loew receivers for 19.95 each in good condition(?) Their Part#RE0017P Phone #612-780-8780. Please don't buy them all guys, I think I'd like to get a spare. I was looking for a firing pin for my 1893 7mm german/spanish mauser when I came across the ad. I'm re-doing the old boy after a major 20 year rest in the closet and it seems that the firing pin is too rusted for use. Everything else has turned out pristine. So if anyone can give me a tip on that it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ruger guy

Remember, the firarms you are buying now will be appreciated by your future generations much more than any other family heirloom you could pass down. You can be sure that whether they ever got to know you or not, they will appreciate your forsight while defending their family. Buy quality, arm them well. Your unborn great great grandchildren deserve it. You will be their hero.

Hi Ruger Guy
I think I saw the same add for those receivers.I think you will find that they are just that receivers,no bolt,no bottom metal,and no trigger.If you can find all of the parts you need to make a action out of it you will spend more than the cost of a complete action or action grade rifle.

------------------
Fear a government that fears your guns

[This message has been edited by wildcat (edited January 08, 2000).]

Joe, Wildcat and anyone else who might be interested, I had already ordered 4 or the 1938 Turk Mausers from Century and they arrived today. I got to say I was pleasantly suprised. Not being interested in the bores I just gave them a quick look while checking them in. I saw no pits. The actions seem to be in good shape. I would want to have one tested for hardness before I barreled it with a magnum caliber but for anything else I wouldn't hesitate although I doubt any of these will be chambered hotter than a .308 Win. They come complete too. Each one had a sling, cartouche, bayonet& scabbard and trigger lock. One was missing the frog for the bayonet and another is missing the mag spring and follower. Three had cracked handguards. Other than that I have 4 complete 98 actions to build on. For $100 including shipping that's hard to beat. George

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Stringer:
Joe, Wildcat and anyone else who might be interested, I had already ordered 4 or the 1938 Turk Mausers from Century and they arrived today. I got to say I was pleasantly suprised. Not being interested in the bores I just gave them a quick look while checking them in. I saw no pits. The actions seem to be in good shape. I would want to have one tested for hardness before I barreled it with a magnum caliber but for anything else I wouldn't hesitate although I doubt any of these will be chambered hotter than a .308 Win. They come complete too. Each one had a sling, cartouche, bayonet& scabbard and trigger lock. One was missing the frog for the bayonet and another is missing the mag spring and follower. Three had cracked handguards. Other than that I have 4 complete 98 actions to build on. For $100 including shipping that's hard to beat. George [/quote]

George, Maybe you already know, but those large ring Model 38 Turks take a small ring sized barrel shank, approx. .98".

Bobcat, yeah I forgot to mention that. These are made like the Mexican 98s and the G33/40 and that only makes them more attractive. There are a lot of takeoff barrels that don't have enough meat left on the shank to turn down and rethread for a large ring 98 at 1.100 but will offer themselves up for these actions at .980. The Remington 700 and Savage barrels come to mind. You can get a Remington bbl for around $70 from Gun Parts Corporation and there are probably a million of them floating around that you can get for a song from folks who have had their rifles rebarreled. Could make for some relatively inexpensive rifles. George

I checked the ad in gunlist again and it doesn't come with anything. I think I would just look for an old mauser that looks like hell on the outside and good on the inside. Pawn shops near military bases seem to always have one or two sitting in the corner collecting dust.

A warning about the $19.95 actions from Federal. These actions have heavy pitting all over. Not deep enough to be dangerous, but certainly ugly. I bought a couple for experiments,not expecting much for the price. I was still disapointed. I'm going to chop these into a short pistol length & chamber for whatever pistol cartridge I can feed from a mag( .45, .44, etc.). So they are fine, at the price, for a project that might not go just right. Go with the Turk's for a better gun.

Back