Mauser action help

Bob1

Hello
I hope to get some help from you guys here, regarding converting mauser to long range rifle.
I have several match rifles for 200 meter matches I rarely use anymore and wanted to make use of.
I have a danish match conversion rifle m69 6.5x55 with a nice Schultz&Larsen barrel on it, with a dwm 1908 action and 28” barrels.
I also have 2 more, danzig 1917 and bnz 42.
My gunsmith who lately checked my bnz 42 and dwm, said the dwm was good.
I want to convert the dwm to scoped lrh use, it will be easy to for my smith to drill, tap and adjust bolt handle, and the dwm feels so slick and tight almost like a new action.

So to my question ofcourse, why psi range can I expect safely to get reloading?
Say 28” barrel, what velocity can I get out of 120-130-140 grain without being concerned about it not holding up?
Or will I be better off getting a commercial action.

The rifles have only shot norma 100 grain rekrut match and 130 grain golden target, without any issues.

Last edited:
Poster Slamfire is very cautious about the strength of the steel in these old actions and would recommend not loading them to any higher pressure than the standard factory load.

Norma makes a 6.5x55 143 grain Golden Target that would be suitable for Long Range. Reloads to equal it would be a safe approach.

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I'm a big fan of the old Swede. Since you don't discuss your loading plans or experience, I will simply share mine. Loading for two rifles: 1903 Carl Gustafs M96 (29 1/2") and a FN 98 Mauser with a Brownell's 24" barrel. Load manuals are very conservative with this round, and I go easy on my 96. I have not run any commercial ammo to compare, but shooting 142 SMK over a modest charge of Re-22, the 96 yields 2,660 fps/13.2 Std. Very accurate. QuickLoad says I am <40 ksi. The FN I run up to the CIP standard of 3,800 bar/55 ksi (QL projection). Loading SGK 130 and 140 over Re-22 or IMR-7828 SSC, I get just under 2,900 and 2,800 respectively. Also very accurate. Going to a 28" barrel with these loads should net another 100 fps.

I'm glad you had your smith check the actions, but don't push too hard. No need, especially with a long barrel. Good luck.

Thanks for your replies.
I am surprised you have so low psi on your SMK load.
I will be using norma brass and I plan on norma mrp powder because of the barrel length.
I was hoping to get 2600 with a 140ish bullet or 2700 with a 130 safely.
Wasent the operating pressure 45.000 psi of the brazilian 1908 action?

They're both large ring M98 actions, meaning plenty strong by first half of the 20th century standards. In evaluating various Mauser models, Jerry Kuhnhausen (you should get his shop manual) rates the DWM 1908 as "Highly desirable for building custom rifles". Personally, I'd choose that action over a Steyer wartime make.

i have a custom 35 whelen built on a 98 waffenbrik steyr action by j.w. vanpatten and shoot the same load i use in my700 remington with no problems at all.

Is the bnz 42 action stronger than the dwm 1908?

Irrelevant, unless you're looking to blow the action up. Both are equally strong enough to take standard service load pressures, AND to survive overload proof pressure testing without failing.

One may be "stronger" than the other, but in order to determine that, you have to destroy BOTH rifles.

I have a 1909 Argentine action that has been made into a .458 Win Mag. ITs strong enough for that, and then some. Essentially the same as the 1908 Brazilian, and both are regarded as the finest examples of pre WWI German arms manufacturing.

Back