Mauser 95 action info

A newbie question. Can someone point me in the right direction for on-line info or a good book which can illuminate the differences between a Mauser 95 and a Mauser 98 action.

I know that most conversions and sporterizing is done on 98's -- is that because of safety, ease, availability, etc.? Is the 95 suitable , for example, to use in semi-scout rifle?

Any input is appreciated.

Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on the Mauser rifles is a great source of info for gunsmithing & the differences in the actions. The 98 has quite a few improvements over the pre 98 style actions. They are generally much stronger, although for some purposes the pre 98s are just fine. If I were going to use a pre 98, I would limit myself to the 96 Swede action for anything hard use as they were much better made/heat treated than the 93/95 Spanish Mausers. Especially the later guns (1940s). I have built a couple of .308s on Swede actions with no problems, but I wouldn't do it on any other pre 98. My experience is limited to building a few guns on both types of actions & someone else wil undoubtedly have more/better experience than I do, so ask a few more folk, especially George Stringer, for help.

thanks.

I already have a Chilean Mauser 95, rechambered in .308 nato -- stamped in receiver with date 1981.

I am exploring the idea of making it a semi-scout, hence my inquiry.

This is a good description of the differences, dimensionally speaking:
http://gunstocks.com/appendix3.html

The other differences between the small-ring pre-98 Mausers and the large-ring 98 Mausers are the 98's greater comparative strength, metallurgy, 3rd safety lug on the bolt, cock-on-opening, and usually longer action. I have one Model 95 in .257 Roberts, but the remaining Mausers and actions I have are all large-ring 98's, and one Siamese Mauser action awaiting it's turn as a .45-70.

Hi, i Have one of those .308 from 7x57 converted and after some research decided to convert it to 7.62x39 (sleave adapter) due to the fact that the conversion from 7x57 to .308nato was not as well done as it could have been. Instead of changing the barrel chili reamed the chamber and silver solderd an insert. It is very nice and the extractor grabs the 7.62x39 rim fairly well. Have not made a new follower yet but probably will.

Back