Matt’s Bullets?

jski

What’s the word on Matt’s Bullets?

Good stuff?

Trying the find out what the BHN is for their .32 cal 100 gr WC bullets?

I've been using Matt's Bullets as long as they've been in business. In 41 and 45 Colt, they've been very consistent, ridiculously accurate, and no leading to 1100fps. Send them an email and they'll tell you the BHN. My experience, with the ole thumbnail test, is about 15, since I can't mark them. They offer a flat shipping fee, too.

Makes some beautiful bullets, I have ordered from him several times. As I understand it if you order 500 or more he can tailor the alloy or sizing to your request. Give him a call, was super helpful the time I called.

Matt's for 38 Special

Yes. I like Matt's bullets. These days, I rarely shoot straight lead (I like plated - no smoke, easier loading and gun clean up - I feel it's worth the added expense), but when I did, I liked Matt's. I believe he's the guy who sizes many of his 38 stuff to .359 - which my guns seemed to like.

And he has lots of neat wadcutter type profiles, which I especially like.

I don't know the BHN, but they're all hard cast, as I remember.

HANDLOADER
.32 H&R Magnum (Pet Loads)
Handloading for Versatility
Feature By: Brian Pearce | October, 18

As mentioned, the .32 H&R has a SAAMI maximum average pressure of 21,000 CUP, which has not been updated with piezoelectric (psi) measurements. This pressure level was originally established to assure safe use in H&R guns. As a result, Federal Cartridge, Hornady and Black Hills Ammunition each offer loads that are within this pressure guideline and are suitable for use in all guns.

However, most other .32 Magnum revolvers offer notably greater strength than the H&R guns and can handle higher pressure handloads. Buffalo Bore Ammunition (BBA) lists .32 H&R Magnum loads as “Heavy +P.” However, there is no SAAMI +P pressure rating, resulting in these loads being considered “proprietary” with pressures established by the manufacturer. BBA currently lists a 100-grain JHP bullet at 1,300 fps and a 130-grain cast bullet at 1,125 fps.

I knew a Cowboy who bought a "set" of .32 H&Rs, a pair of Ruger "Vaqueritos" and the uncommon Marlin lever action. Then he loaded it hot for the SASS maxima of 1000 fps revolver and 1400 fps rifle. Hard to figure people out.

Got an email from Matt’s. He said the BHN for most of his bullets is 10, which are not anything you can push hard without leading. He agreed. I canceled my order.

Elmer Keith use 20:1 and then 16:1 lead:tin in the initial development of his hot 44 Special Loads that Remington evolved into the 44 Magnum. BHN is around ten and ten and a half, respectively. It solves the common problem of bore constrictions in revolver barrels where they screw into the frame by allowing the bullet to be bumped back up by pressure after passing through one. Harder bullets are often less accurate in such revolvers. The fact the softer bullets obturate the bore well can also mitigate gas cutting, even in self-loaders with straight bores. This is especially useful in lighter target loads.

Incidentally, if you intend to shoot light target loads, whatever cast bullet you choose, try shooting some as-lubed, and try shooting some with all the lube dissolved off of them. See if you get any significant difference in leading. If not, you can likely order and shoot them as-cast and avoid smoke and soot caking-up in your gun, not to mention avoiding lube caking up in your seater die stem. This depends on the bore. You won't know until you try.

Matt says his hollow points are not for Magnums.

When NRA developed the Alox 2138F + Beeswax bullet lube, they found that they got best accuracy with only one lube groove of a wadcutter filled.

This is Matt from Matt's Bullets. It is true that our hollowpoint bullets are cast from 20:1 alloy which expands beautifully, and is about 10 bhn, but cannot handle magnum velocities. The same is true for our hollowbase bullets such as our 32 wadcutter the OP was referring to. The rest of our bullets are cast from different alloys.

We cast our bullets from 5 different alloys from very hard to quite soft depending on the anticipated application. However, we are happy to cast your order harder or softer on request at no extra charge. This applies to most of our bullets except the hollowpoints. We can cast them harder as well but the other alloys do not expand as well so we do not recommend it.

Matt,

From my own experience, I can't tell a difference in revolver and carbine lead fouling when using the same load if both bores are the same dimensions and in the same condition. But the carbine sends them out faster. So that brings me my question for you as someone in the business: How do you determine the velocity limit?

This question comes up all the time. Clearly, if I took my old Dan Wesson kit gun and reached the same maximum velocity with all its different barrel lengths, the shortest barrel would be running at higher peak pressure than the longest would be to make that happen. Since pressure, per the late Richard Lee's experiments, has a threshold beyond which it can distort the bullet base if all else is equal (rifling pitch, bore condition, the bullet diameter being optimal for the gun), my expectation is that peak pressure rather than velocity would be the primary limiting factor. Do you have some experimental experience that has told you otherwise? Or do you have a standard barrel length you rely on for the velocity number and if so, what length and what condition is it in?

Matt I recently bought some Keith type bullets from you for 44 magnum (250 grain). What velocity should I hold those to?

Thegatman,

Tell him what length your barrel is and use a feeler gauge to determine the size of the barrel/cylinger gap and tell him that. If you have a powder preference, give that information, too.

matts bullets

I never used matts bullets, but after reading all the good posts, I may.
I have been loading Missouri bullets in my 45 colt, and 38 special, and like them. I have also used acme bullets, and gotten good results.
I have been considering casting my own, even bought molds, sizers, and lead melting pot, but the few I made did not seem right somehow.
So for now will continue to buy my bullets. In 38 special, and 45 colt, lead just seems right.
I have not used coated bullets, and was wondering how they work.

Retired after 20 US COAST GUARD, LIFETIME NRA MEMBER, shooter all of my adult and most of my childhood life. Brother and I received our first single shot 22 , I was 10, he was 8. Been shooting ever since. Army boot camp had a fit first time I fired a rifle left handed. Couldn't see the target with my right eye.

Back