Matte finish on stainless?

pocat

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this great forum. I've been "lurking" around here for a couple of days and finally decided to join in. Looks like a lot of pros here. I'll have alot of questions in my following visits here, and I'll try to help contribute any advice I can.

My first question is this:

I have a Savage rifle chambered in .308 Win. It has a heavy, fluted stainless steel target barrel. I recently installed a camo stock and the shiny stainless barrel and bolt handle kind of defeats the whole purpose.
Is there any kind of treatment I can put on myself to give it a dull, matte finish, or is this something I need to have done professionally? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by pocat (edited October 01, 2000).]

Pocat, you can have it bead blasted. That will soften the glare. You could also have it tefloned but that is a matte black finish. George

Contact Rocky Mountain Arms for a 'green/black/grey' camo style finish. They used to do this for about $25 more than the standard matte black finish. They are located in Longmont, Colorado. Go to www.bearcoat.com. Hope that helps.

Another good option that many shooters overlook is the enamel paint that is used for painting steel chimney pipe. It's dusty, flat black, and it withstands a ton of heat and abuse.

------------------
The Alcove

I twist the facts until they tell the truth. -Some intellectual sadist

The Bill of Rights is a document of brilliance, a document of wisdom, and it is the ultimate law, spoken or not, for the very concept of a society that holds liberty above the desire for ever greater power. -Me

Back