matching serial #'s

chordmaster5

Inactive
For collectability's sake how important is it to have a rearsenaled yugo m24/47's stck to match the bolt, reciever and floorplate. I was sent an extra rifle (yes, they billed me) when I placed an order on Friday and the stock on the extra with non-matching serial #'s looks nicer than the rifle I will keep that has all matching #'s. If it wouldn't hurt potential future value I want to talk to the supplier about swapping stocks before I send the extra rifle back.
Thanks for any input.

matching #s

Its Apsolutely imperitive to have all matching #s for a premium collectable value,most arsenal re works shoot well but are not as issued ,complete with all accessories,cleaning kit bayonet,sling ect.captured weapons,are extremely valuable with papers, go to military surplus guns. com you can get info there good luck:cool:

MR Andrew Storm,
On my 24 47 I got from Samco, with Bent Bolt Handle.
The Bolt number Matches the Stock, Firing Pin, Floor Plate, but the Housing for the Floor Plate Does not match, and the Bayonet does not match.
Its mostly Matching, but I bought it for a shooter, and I asked them for a good bore, and man did they deliver, It has a bright shiney bore, with perfect rifeling. I love this Rifle.:D

There are eight reasons to insist on all matching numbers on a surplus firearm:

1.) Personal satisfaction and even a bit of snob appeal.
2.) Higher resale value
3.) Maybe a bit better accuracy and function.
4.) You enjoy your hobby and want to make it pay off a bit better in the end.
5.) You have the money to purchase it and the time to spend looking for one.
6.) Superior knowledge of warfare, great power conflicts, wars, shadow wars, proxy wars, and military ordnance policies and practices that mandate that no issued weapon was ever worn out, broken, captured, surrendered, rebarreled, rechambered, furnished to any other country or issued to more than one military, or refinished in any way.
7.) The ability to discern instantly if numbered parts have been faked.
8.) The ability to spend hundreds of dollars more on a weapon because the floorplate matches the buttplate.

The first 5 reasons are the only ones that count. Other than that, collect and shoot what you want to and enjoy each and every one of them, matching or not.

They are all historical artifacts of an era now gone, when the armies of the entire world faced each other with a cumbersome, slow, bolt action, open sighted, magazine rifle with five or ten rounds in it. Frankly, it's a wonder they have not all been melted down for scrap value by the nations that designed and produced them. Instead, they rebuilt them as carefully as they could and brought them to the great American marketplace, where our freedom to own such rifles and the wealth to purchase them keeps them intact and functioning for a second century.

Go ahead and buy a bunch of them, put them away for your grandchildren, and their grandchildren. Let the snobs cavil about their collection of stamped numbers and how valuable it is. The rest of us can put a little bit of our freedom in storage for the next generation to keep and enjoy.

chordmaster5 said:
For collectability's sake how important is it to have a rearsenaled yugo m24/47's stck to match the bolt, reciever and floorplate. I was sent an extra rifle (yes, they billed me) when I placed an order on Friday and the stock on the extra with non-matching serial #'s looks nicer than the rifle I will keep that has all matching #'s. If it wouldn't hurt potential future value I want to talk to the supplier about swapping stocks before I send the extra rifle back.
Thanks for any input.

Yes, it well hurt the value.
The key word here, "collectablilty" means matching #'s. A non-matching rifle may shoot as well or even better, but it well never have the collectibility or potential value of a non matched rifle.

But a milsurp with an import marking is going to hurt the value more than not having matching numbers. A good bit of milsurps with "matching" numbers appear to be forced matches, where when it went through the armory, they stamped the various parts to match rather than segregate the individual parts to insure all the original parts went back on the right firearm.

People working in the armories where they restored firearms to working order didn't care about matching parts, if they needed a bolt, they reached into the box of bolts and grabbed one ignoring the specific part number of the rifle.

But a milsurp with an import marking is going to hurt the value more than not having matching numbers.

I don't think so. Mil-surps have been import marked for the past forty five years, so most well be marked. It's the location of the mark that can hurt value. Marked on the barrel is pretty unobtrusive, marked on the receiver can be pretty ugly. I have passed on rifles because of the location of the marking. A non-import marked rifle well have a slight premium, but not much.

I collect No4 Enfields, most well have a import mark on the end of the barrel at the bayonet lugs. Take the bayonet on and off a few hundred times and that mark is worn off:rolleyes:

I agree on forced matched parts, but you can normally tell if it's forced or original marking.

Well, I tend to collect more US milsurps than other countries, and you can find unmarked ones loads of places. Granted, you'll see examples with import marks as well. And I've got a pretty decent SMLE with no marks, but it was a rifle my wife's dad had come across somewhere long ago.

Levels of desire

Is what collecting is all about. Some people just desire a cheap (realitvely) good shooting gun. Others desire as close to original issue as possible (hence all matching numbers). Those folks seem to set the market, for the value of matching guns, with unmatched number (but still mechanically excellent) guns going for less $.

Matching numbers are important only to the collector who wants them, but since they are willing to pay the most, matching guns are "worth" the most.

Contrast this situation to more than half a century ago, when these guns were still quite common, and dirt cheap. Matching numbers on a milsurp then only brought a very small additional value, if any (outside of genuine rarities). People would pay more for a rebarreled, restocked, drilled and tapped milsurp than they would for one in pristine original condition.

Today, the situation is exactly opposite. And due to supply and demand, it is ulikely to ever go back to what it once was.

If you plan to later sell the gun, matching numbers gives you a reason to ask a higher price than otherwise, as proof the gun is still as completely original as possible. Other then that, ......

Back