Match Rifle

What Would be a good rifle for High Power matches. My price range is $700 or lower. I am currently thinking about getting an M1917 Enfield and glass bedding it and possibly free floating the barrel.

What flavor?

Do you want to shoot "service rifle" or "match rifle" matches?

From the NRA website:

Rifle: Rifles to be used in High Power Rifle competition must be equipped with metallic sights (Some long range, 1000-yard matches allow the use of "any sights"), should be capable of holding at least 5 rounds of ammunition and should be adapted to rapid reloading. Tournament programs often group competitions into two divisions, Service Rifle and Match Rifle. The rifles currently defined as "Service Rifles" include the M1, M14, M16 and their commercial equivalents. Winchester and Remington have made their Model 70 and Model 40X rifles in "match" versions and custom gunsmiths have made up match rifles on many military and commercial actions. 1903 and 1903-A3 Springfield, 1917 Enfields and pre-war Winchester Model 70 sporters in .30-06 are all equipped with clip slots for rapid reloading. The most suitable rear sights are aperture or "peep" with reliable, repeatable 1/2 minute (or finer) adjustments. Front sights should be of either the post or aperture type.

You might look in to getting an M1 Garand from the CMP. It would be a basic shooter. The last time they sold some, they were around $450. Some were pretty rough but shootable.

An Enfield will be a beast to shoot and your savings will quickly be eaten up by the cost of good ammo. If you're going to shoot surplus, you may as well get an M1 from the CMP. Both will be difficult to shoot.

If you want a competitive service rifle, get a match AR. You should be able to find one for about a grand.

I am talking about the U.S. M1917, the one that the U.S. Army used in WW1. Not a Lee-Enfield.

Under NRA Highpower rules, there are Match Rifles and Service Rifles. The M1, M14 and AR15 are Service Rifles; everything else (M1903, M1917, AR space gun, Tubb rifle, whatever) is a Match Rifle. The CMP recognizes only Service Rifles. In CMP Games (not very common), you can shoot Vintage military rifles, but they must be As-Issued (no bedding).

A 30-06 bolt action is going to be a SOB to shoot well. You're going to have to pick your head up with every shot and the action is about a mile long. The recoil is going to be extremely difficult to master. You will be VERY busy in the rapidfire stages.

If $700 is your rifle budget, I'd get a CMP Service Grade M1 Garand (ask for a nice barrel because your building a rifle to shoot highpower), and get the trigger done. Handguard mods and bedding you can probably do yourself if you're halfway competant. It'll be a lot easier to shoot--less recoil and you won't have to rebuild your position in the rapids after every shot.

What Would Be A Good Rifle?

I Suggest That You Join A Competitive Club First And Talk With The Gang. You Might Find That, That $700 You Want To Spend Would Be Better Spent Else Where... On Another Type Of Competitive Firearm.

How Old Are You?
What Is Physical Condition?
Are You Really Up To The Challenge?
Can You Stay Out In The Sun For Hours On End?
Do You Really Want To Lug All Of The Gear Up And Down The Firing Line. I.e. 200-600 Yard, And Maybe The 1000 Yard Line?

Are You Prepared For This Adventure Of Ups And Down?

If So, Don't Waist Your Time With The Firearm That Your Thinking Of. Go Talk With Your Local Experts.

Where Is Your Location? I Will Be Happy To Point You In The Right Direction To The Nearest Club.
308cal

Attachments

• GySgt Hathcock.jpg
    GySgt Hathcock.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 37
Know It All's

One More Thing.
You'll Find Out Soon Enough That We Are All Know It All's. So Pick Wisely.

Your Friend In Arms .:)

The 1917 would be a rough one to handle in a match of any sort. Those cock on close- most everything else cocks on open. I don't know exactly how to explain it- but if you get the chance to rapid cycle a 1903 or A3 next to a 1917, you'll definitely see where the benefit lies.

Well then I guess I should use my cock-on-opening Mosin with the sticky bolt. I got used to the effort required to cock it, and I think I can get used to the effort required to cock an M1917.

it is certainly fun to shoot any good rifle accurately. i would go to a match in your area and see what is being used. i think you will find across the board world war one service rifles are not competitive. even garands and m14s have been left behind by ar15s in the service rifle class.
...in the match rifle class, space guns which is slang for modified ars have left the remington bolt guns behind. there are also bolt guns built on specific target actions unrelated to the bolt guns that we are used to using for hunting.
....without sounding like a broken record go to a match,,,,fwiw bobn

30 cal brings up some good points. Your 1917 would take a lot of work to get it match ready. By the time you spent the money you could have bought a RRA NM AR which is ready out of the box to take you to master. Plus, 223 is way cheaper to shoot than '06 or 308.

Another point is to get at least a service grade Springer or H&R M-1 from the CMP and shoot it until it holds you back. Then go after a better rifle.

"...Not a Lee-Enfield..." A P17 is also known as the American Enfield. Designed by the Brits originally chambered in .303 and built Stateside during W. W. I. as the P14. Your rifle is essentially the same rifle but chambered in .30-06 and was used by the U.S military during W.W. I because there weren't enough 1903's.
Personally, I'd use it with carefully loaded 168 or 150 grain match grade bullets and IMR4064. Mind you, I really like shooting real battle rifles. It's the rifle. The cartridge doesn't matter to me.
$700US really won't buy you a match grade rifle. A match grade barrel and installation alone can cost that much. It'll buy you a good CMP M1 Rifle though.
Go shoot matches anyway. Don't worry about placing. Shooting matches is great fun. You'll meet the some truly great people who will help you and become close friends. Other doors will open too.

For 700 bucks you should just go to a match and ask around. Probably somebody has a rifle that will meet your needs as a beginner that he will be willing to part with, especially to bring somebody new into the fold. If you buy a CMP rifle, or worse, try to build a silk purse from a sow's ear, you'll waste your entire budget on a rifle that ultimately will never allow you to progress.

A new high power shooter MUST have a good rifle or he cannot improve. Been there, done that.

Tim

Back