Match ammo?

Spartacus,

Give us a clue here...
What sort of firearm, & caliber/gauge?
What sort of "match" to be fired?

Mykl,

I've got a Browning Safari II with the BOSS chambered in .300 Win Mag. It's shooting about .6 inch groups center to center at 100 yds. with Remington CoreLokt 180 grain factory ammo. I'm just curious to see what would happen with top notch match ammo :) Thinking about trying some long range target shooting after deer season for the hell of it.

------------------
Byron Quick

Hi Byron,

Take a look at Georgia Arms's .300 Win Mag ammo. They load the Ballistic Tip bullet.

AFAIK, there is no true match ammo for the .300. John Plaster recommends one of the Federal loads also. GA is probably better (IMHO) and cheaper.

Giz

------------------
Vote Democratic! 1 Billion Chinese can't be wrong......

I like HORNADY... Good quality stuff. in .223 the VX loads are "MATCH" enough for me. They group tighter than I can shoot. In .300 I have fired some (about 100) Hornady Factory loads that went EXACTLY where I wanted them to go. But since I dont own a .300 rifle - Anyone here who does thats fired Hornady stuff?

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Thanks, George. I've fired some Hornady through my BAR and it's good ammo. Probably wind up trying some in the BAR and some Georgia Arms ammo. Probably wind up learning how to load match ammo.

------------------
Byron Quick

When you find out, let us know-- the only Match ammo I've shot through my .300 Win Mag is a Sierra 180 MatchKing over 7Xg. of RL 22, over a CCI Magnum primer, with weighed cases and charges weighed to 1/10gr. But if you're getting honest .6 from Rem. factory regular, and this is a Safari Grade, um, how much do you want to gild the lilly?

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Long Path, I got the .6 inch ONCE but I like to brag :) Really I'm just curious as to the limits of the BOSS besides encouraging me to fire more ammo. I really think Browning is getting a kickback from the ammo factories :) Matter of fact I think that group might have been Hornady.

------------------
Byron Quick

OOPS! I did say .6 inch groups at first, didn't I? Oh, well, slip of the fingers. Ordinary groups are an inch.

------------------
Byron Quick

Back