Mass travel w/ firearm question

sigman232

I am a ccw holder in CT and want to head up to VT with my carry weapon. I know Mass has strict guidelines for guns so I'd like to get it right if possible to bring it at all. many thanks in advance.

I used to deal with this exact issue ('cept I was in NY heading to VT). There is a Federal law that prohibits states from blocking or interfering with your transit if you case and store the weapon. Here is a quick read of the relevant law from the NRA-ILA site, and then a reference to the whole page:

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, like gasoline and rest, seem permissible.

NRA-ILA relevant page:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

Mass states law mandates that all non resident traveling through the state with firearms must have all their firearms secured in a locked case and separate from the ammo. There is no CCW in Mass without a Mass issued LTC. Even if you have a license from your home state Mass does not recognize it.

Call me paranoid, but in the land of Kerry and Kennedy, I go to extremes and call the Mass State Police to advise them I am traveling up I91 on such and such date, time, etc., get the trooper's name, badge, etc., to just cover my doopa.

"TRANSPORTATION BY MOTOR VEHICLE

In most states, personally-owned firearms may be transported legally if they are unloaded, cased, and locked in the automobile trunk.

The exceptions to this rule apply mainly to interstate transportation of handguns. The myriad and conflicting legal requirements for firearm transportation through the states make caution the key for travelers.
"

i found this a bit further down the page and it concerns me. they go on about campers but still, the way they mention it seems troublesome.

No need for calls or paranoia, just read the law...

Guys, there's no need to get paranoid about this. There is a relevant Federal law that prevents any state or other policial jurisdiction from interfering with your interstate transportation. Here is another take on it if you didn't look at the NRA link above:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

As long as it's unloaded and in your trunk, or cased and locked out of the front compartment, you are fine. It does not matter whether it's a handgun or long gun. Anywhere in the U.S. You can thank congress for this; they set it so that petty local laws and cops cannot hassle you. They can, but they will pay steeply for it.

thanks kamerer......this looks pretty solid to me:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. "

:cool:

Back