Mas 36 in .308-How Converted?

will

Inactive
Does anyone know how the 7.5 Mas rifles were converted to .308? If they set the barrel back and recut the chamber great but if they put in some crappy chamber sleeve who needs it. Anybody know how it was done? Now that they added an sks/49/56 type safety I think they would be great beater guns.

Can't tell you how it's converted (I'll need an original and a conversion for a side by side comparison) but my friend has a converted one. It jammed a lot and he's sent it back to the distributor for service. He should have it back by now and we'll see how it works when we hit the range.

Almost certainly a chamber insert. Design Systems Technologies Inc. [(717) 458-0140] advertises conversions of the MAS 49/56 to .308 and accept metric FAL mags for $95. You might give them a ring to find out how they accomplish the conversion as the others are probably done the same way.

Gary is right. According to their ad that's been running in SGN the modification is permanent. BTW Design System Technologies address is listed as 136 E Morehead Ave. Millville PA 17846. Phone number as listed above.

Hey Will, I saw a MAS 36 convert at a gunshop a while ago. This is an old conversion, it has been at this gunshop for at least 10 months (?) if not a year. Maybe one of Century's early trials? It appeared to be rebarreled, and of course a safety added. If indeed these rifles are rebarreled, (and done better than the MAS 49s that I've heard so many bad things about) then they might be pretty decent guns!
Try going to Tuco's forum and posting your question, someone there will know.
http://www.paradise-web.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=tuco10

HTH!

Back