Maryland - Ammunition Tax and Encoding Bill

Norton

Posted on numerous forums so we can get moving on this:

The numbnuts have brought back their backdoor gun ban. Tax the ammunition so heavily and then require the encoding which is so onerous that not a single ammunition manufacturer can afford to do it, and PRESTO, you have a de facto gun ban in Maryland.

This will have to go through both the Judicial Committee as well as the Ways and Means Committee.

All of the information you need is located here:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=60849#post60849

What's to stop Marylander's from buying ammo in Virginia. Are they going to criminalize posession of non-encoded ammo, or boxes of ammo missing some kind of Maryland tax stamp?

Another foolish, Californicated law makes it's way back east.

That's amazing. If I read it right that would take the price of .22LR from about $10 for a 500 round "brick" to about $35. 1,000 rounds of 9mm from about $175 to about $225, not to mention the cost that would be passed to the consumer if the manufacturer tried to follow this "encoding" scheme. :barf:

What's to stop Marylander's from buying ammo in Virginia. Are they going to criminalize posession of non-encoded ammo, or boxes of ammo missing some kind of Maryland tax stamp?

Nope.....the text of the bill isn't up right now, but other versions of this bill have stipulated that posession of non-conforming ammuntion would be a crime meaning that anyone who stockpiled a bunch of SA 7.62 NATO before the prices went insane would have to forfeit it.

I do not reside in Maryland, but I am glad to hear that inane bit of legislation was defeated.

Congratulations Spot77, keep fighting the good fight.:)

what do you mean encoding? i was talking to a local sporting goods shop owner a few weeks ago and he mentioned that in italy the ammo has a serial number on it. if you shoot any of the ammo your are required by law to keep a log of what you fired. and you have to sign a form when buying ammo there. basically making the ammo traceable to someone. i don't reside in maryland but was born there. why in the name of hades would uncle sam want to encode ammo? is it to make it harder for legal owners to buy it?

Good job MD in killing this. But don't forget that it can come back over and over and over. The fight is only just joined and you will need to stay organized and keep a constant "watch on the walls".

Good luck and stay strong and alert!

It seems that it would also be fair to place the names of all responsible for tax laws to be clearly viewed when anyone pays the tax. And, maybe their telephone numbers and home addresses.

Back