Marston pepperbox revolver, need info

Tom2

I have a W.W. Marston pepperbox revolver that I got real cheap. That is because, I found, there are a few internals in the action missing. I need a diagram or photo of the innards. My greatest dream is someone knowing where to get some guts, or diagrams traced for reproduction. Otherwise I will have to sell it as a non working display model, and mount it on a plaque or something for display to boost it's value. Not even considering shooting it!

I don't know of any parts source for those guns. If you are heir to a fortune and cost is no object, you might try to find a gunsmith who would tackle the job (lotsa luck!). Pepperboxes are pretty simple, but the gunsmith would first have to figure out what parts are missing and what they should look like, then make them on a trial and error basis, a very time-consuming process. I am pretty sure the cost will be a lot more than the gun is worth. Another possibility is to try to find another identical gun and make one good one out of two, but Marson made several models and I don't think they are the same internally.

Dixie Gun Works has an Allen Pepperbox kit; it would not be the same and I would be very surprised if parts were the same, but if you have the money it might at least help you with the internals of a pepperbox,

I wish you luck, but I think you may very well end up going the display model route.

Jim

Wall hangar

I have a fair idea of what is missing, but I cannot even attempt to replicate the parts myself without seeing originals. And it is not in good enough shape to justify spending money on a full restoration. So I guess I will have to make the display out of it. It looks presentable as a worn 1850's pistol with no finish I guess. Actually mounting it for display probably would make it worth something and sellable. I thought it had broken parts when I got it, not totally missing. Thanks.

Back