Marlin's new 45/70

antenna

Anyone heard anything good/bad about Marlin's brush gun in 45/70. Thing looks awesome, but I'm curious as to how it handles. The barrel is ported, so you can probably expect a pretty fierce muzzle blast.

I grew up in the swamps of South Florida, thought that there was nothing better than a Ruger Semi in .44 Magnum for bushing it. Now live in Oregon where I was in need of something with a bit more bite than a .44 Magnum. Purchased the new Marlin 1895G and it has become my favorite bush gun now. I travel and hunt the woods alone. I now go through them woods with authority.
The Guide Gun shoots sweet. It is extremely accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Believe it or not, the gun is more well behaved than a lever gun in .44 Magnum. Much easier on the shoulder. This is the best gun to come along in years. If you have your eye on one, jump on it, the gun has no flaws.

Robert

I got to shoot one of these at the Outdoor Festival last year, it really surprised me. Recoil wasn't bad and it handled great. If I was in the market for a 45-70, this is what I'd buy.

No actual experience withthis rifle though I have heard great things about it. Randy Garett of Garett Cartridges makes some excellent silver alloy cast cartridges that enables the 45-70 to take any game on this planet including cape buffalo(?). He also makes 44 mag with this bullet and heard of a grizzly being taken with a 2 1/2" S&W as he was charged (did take 6 rounds). Penetration is better with the 44 mag than with soft point 458 mag.

I bought my first lever action last month. It was the Marlin 1895G a 45-70. I put a set of Ashley sights on it (I personally don't like open sights) and it is GRRREAT! Handy, accurate and the recoil isn't bad with factory Winchester 300 gr. I haven't shot anything else in it, yet. I would highly recommend it.

I agree, it is as awsome as it looks. The Ashley ghost ring sights should be a big improvement - hope to get them soon for mine.

Peter Knight

i'm in WV. i talked the powers that be into buyin me one for x-mas...problem....I CAN'T FIND ONE ANYWHERE!!!!!!!(1895G)
may hafta wait until birthday....

------------------
.308 WIN: The ONLY cartridge you will EVER need!

I bought my Marlin 1895G Guide Gun last March, fired less than 16 rounds and the firing pin broke. No big deal except that it did it right before hunting season and it cost me about $45 to send it back to Marlin ($24 for UPS and $18 for a box). They sent it back via UPS but I haven't had a chance to resight in the scope (had to take it off to send it back) and use it in the woods yet.

It handles well and the recoil at the bench is pretty stout, but it shouldn't be as bad sitting or standing in the field.

Albin

Antenna,

Lotsa threads on the subject buried here at TFL. Do text searches on the following keywords: 1895G, Guide Gun, .45-70
Note that the max threads returned will be 200 for each search effort.

Back